2021-2022 Season Review & Playoff Predictions

2021-2022 Season Review & Playoff Predictions

Table of Contents

2021-2022 Season Review & Playoff Predictions

In the 60th episode of the Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast, the FHH team discusses the 2021-2022 fantasy hockey season and provides a preview for the NHL playoffs – John’s List & Fantasy Lock Of The Week, Headlines With The Hacks, Fantasy Hockey Heroes & Zeros, NHL Playoff Predictions.

Subscribe to our podcast on all major directories; and stay up to date with the latest in fantasy hockey news and fantasy hockey advice. Be sure to visit LeftWingLock.com, the best source for fantasy hockey intelligence; and The Hockey Podcast Network for more great hockey-related content.

  • Join our 2022 NHL Bracket Challenge ➡️ https://bit.ly/3rNEItn
  • Steven Stamkos – 100 points for the first time, fantasy hockey playoffs MVP?
  • Auston Matthews is the NHL’s first 60-goal man since Steven Stamkos in 2011-2012
  • Jason Robertson is the 14th 40-goal player in the NHL this season!
  • Preds to play 1st round without Saros?
  • Joe Pavelski getting better with age?
  • Vegas Golden Knights miss the playoffs, the hockey world cheers!
  • How did your fantasy hockey season go? Let us know!
  • John’s List & Fantasy Lock Of The Week (3:02/5:27), Headlines With The Hacks (9:27), 2021-2022 Season Review (24:42), Fantasy Hockey Heroes & Zeros (28:35), NHL Playoff Predictions (1:10:16)

Stay In Touch

Twitter | @FHHacks
Instagram | @FantasyHockeyHacks
Facebook | Facebook.com/FantasyHockeyHacks
FHH Website | FantasyHockeyHacks.com
Fantasy Hockey Questions? Email us at FantasyHockeyHacks@Gmail.com

Support Us

Left Wing Lock | #1 Source For Fantasy Hockey Intelligence – starting goalies, line combinations, statistics, and much more!
NHLShop.ca | Up To 50% OFF Select Apparel, FREE Shipping On Orders Over $99
Draft Kings | Use Promo Code THPN for current offers and promotions
Amazon.ca | Sign-up for a FREE 30-Day Trial of Amazon Prime; and get 21% OFF a 4K Fire Stick to stream Prime Video!

John’s List

If you have been listening to our podcast for a while, you’ve undoubtedly heard about “John’s List”; which is basically John’s $h!t list of players past and present. We’ve decided to make this a regular segment on the podcast and will include it in the blog for fun as well. If you have any suggestions for players we should add to the list, let us know!

Dustin Brown

Fantasy Lock Of The Week (April 18 – 24, 2022) | Presented by Left Wing Lock
🔥Steven Stamkos, C/RW, 99% Rostered (Yahoo)

9 Points, 5 Goals, 2 GWG, 3 PPP, 16 SOG, +4, 74.2% PP Share, 18:30 ATOI in 3 games played. For the second straight week, Steven Stamkos is my fantasy lock of the week. Stamkos led the league over the past 2 weeks with an absurd 26 points (10 goals) in his final 10 games played. Career-high 106 points (42 goals)!

Honorable Mentions: Shayne Gostisbehere (7 points – 2 goals, 6 assists, 1 GWG, 2 PPP, 8 SOG, +3, 61.0% PP share, 23:49 TOI in 3 GP). Linus Ullmark (2-0-0, 56 SAVES, 1 shutout, 1.00 GAA, .966 SV%).


Headlines With The Hacks (News & Injuries) | April 18 – 24, 2022

The 2021-2022 regular season has wrapped, but if you’re planning to defend your fantasy hockey championship next season be sure to get your draft kit from our partner, Left Wing Lock. Stay tuned for details.

  • The NHL Stars of the week for April 18th – 24th: Steven Stamkos – 13 points (4G, 9A) in 4 Games; Kevin Fiala (2nd week in a row) 11 Points (4G, 7A) in 4 games; Jonathan Quick – 3-0-0 record, 1.33 GAA, .940 SV%

  • Steven Stamkos hit the 100 point mark for the 1st time in his career. He came close a few times (2009-2010 – 95 points), (2010-11 – 91 points), (2011-12 – 97 points) and (2018-19 – 98 points)

  • Some guy named Auston Matthews scored 60 goals, quietest 60 goals in Leafs history! First American born player in the NHL to score 60 goals.

  • Quinn Hughes set a Canucks record for most points by a defensemen 64 and counting. Passing Doug Lidster who had 63.
  • Juuse Saros exited Tuesday night’s game with a lower body injury. UPDATE: reports are he may miss the 1st round of the playoffs.
  • Jason Robertson scored his 40th Goal on Monday night, becoming the 4th player in Dallas Stars history to score 40 goals in a season. Joining Jamie Benn, Tyler Seguin and Mike Modano

  • Pierre-Luc Dubois has scored a personal best of 28 goals this season. He has been a bright spot in a down year for the Jets. 
  • Joe Pavelski w/ 81 points became the 3rd player in NHL history to set a career high in points at age 37 or older. Joining Gordie Howe and Tim Horton.
  • The Vegas Golden Knights were eliminated from playoff contention Wednesday night. What a train wreck! Vegas loses 3 games in a row in the Shootout. In that span they went 0-17 in the shootout.

  • David Pastrnak and Johnny Gaudreau became the 15th and 16th players to reach the 40-goal plateau in 2021-22

  • The Florida Panthers secured the Presidents Trophy for the first time in franchise history. They also secured home ice advantage for the playoffs
  • The Carolina Hurricanes secured the Jennings trophy for the fewest goals allowed this season. Not bad for a washed up goalie according to the Toronto media. 
  • On Friday the NHLPA voted to create a committee to start looking for Donald Fehr successor. The committee consists of 7 current players Ian Cole, Justin Faulk, Sam Gagner, Zach Hyman, Kyle Okposo, Nate Schmidt and Kevin Shattenkirk. The goal is a peaceful transition after the last 4 PA leaders have been fired. There is no timeline set for Fehr to be replaced
  • The Detroit Red Wings have parted ways with coach Jeff Blashill. 
  • Was Friday nights game vs the Florida Panthers Carey Price’s last game in the NHL? In Price’s media availability he said he prepared for the game as if it was possibly his last game in the NHL. Price’s knee is still swelling and it is keeping him from performing at the level he wants to. Going to get a 2nd opinion on his knee in the off season; not giving up on playing again however, he is prepared that he may have played his last game as a professional.
  • Spencer Knight is your NHL rookie of the month for April. 6-1-0 record, 2.16 GAA, .925 SV%, and 1 shutout.

2021-2022 Fantasy Hockey Season Review

FHHL Inaugural Season – Results, Feedback 

🏆FHHL Champion: Devon Davidson
  • 🥈Honourable mention to Bruce Guenther (finalist) who also had a fantastic season.
  • 🥉Honourable mention to Taylor Kuzyk who finished 3rd in the final standings.
  • 19-4 regular season record
  • 486.4 to 453.3 in the final
🏆Teamoo Salami Champion: Devon Davidson
  • 🥈Honourable mention to Bruce Guenther (finalist) who also squared off in two finals this Spring.  
  • 🥉Honourable mention to Luke Toennies who finished 3rd in the final standings.
  • 21-3 regular season record
  • 221.1 to 164.4 in the final

Fantasy Hockey Heroes

The following are players that outperformed this past season, based on their ADP and/or past seasons performance.   

📈Nazem Kadri (COL), ADP: 133.3 | 27 Goals, 85 Points (19th in NHL Scoring)

After a down-year in 2020-2021 in which he only posted 32 points (11 goals) in 56 games, Kadri went absolutely bananas in 2021-2022. Smashed his previous career-high in points (61) with 87 points and 28 goals this season. It’s safe to say that Nazem Kadri significantly out-performed his ADP. 

📈Matt Duchene (NSH), ADP: 150 | 41 Goals, 81 Points (22nd in NHL Scoring)

Matt Duchene posted a measly 6 goals in 34 games last season before shattering his career-highs in points (70) and goals (31) by posting 43 goals and 43 assists! Duchene was on the wire in at least two leagues that I played in this season, well-played to those of you that managed to snatch him up early.  

📈Robert Thomas (STL), ADP: N/A | 20 Goals, 77 Points (37th in NHL Scoring)

Prior to this season Robert Thomas was largely avoided, even by the most die-hard Blues Fans. Shot volume has always been a concern, but Thomas down the stretch was a must-own fantasy asset for anyone fortunate enough to grab him off the wire. Career-high 76 points and 20 goals. During the month of April Thomas posted 23 points (7 goals) in 16 games.

📈Chris Kreider (NYR), ADP: 152.2 | 52 Goals, 77 Points (39th in NHL Scoring)

If I told you at the start of the season that Chris Kreider would score more goals this season than Alexander Ovechkin, would you have believed me? Miraculously, Kreider scored a career-best 52 goals this season, good enough for 3rd in the NHL this season.  

📈Timo Meier (SJS), ADP: 149.7 | 35 Goals, 76 Points (42nd in NHL Scoring)

Early in the season Timo Meier was the talk of the fantasy hockey community, the pinnacle being a 5-goal performance against the LA Kings on January 17th. 

📈Tage Thompson (BUF), ADP: N/A | 38 Goals, 68 Points (53rd in NHL Scoring)

With another goal on Friday night, Tage Thompson wrapped up a career-year with 68 points and 38 goals!! One of the best waiver wire pickups this season, but I have a feeling he will still be a bargain come draft day next Fall.

📈Evander Kane (EDM), ADP: N/A | 22 Goals, 38 Points in 43 games played

Evander Kane has been everything the Oilers could have hoped for and more this season. So much so that the Oilers are reportedly looking to sign the former Shark to a long-term deal. At nearly a point per game pace through 43 games, in addition to size and grit, it’s easy to see why. 

📈Devon Toews (COL), ADP: 139.6 | 13 Goals, 57 Points (92nd in NHL Scoring)

Toews absolutely obliterated his previous career-high in points (31), and set a new best in goals as well with 13 in just 64 games. Taken on average in the 12th round, the former Isle is currently 10th in scoring by defencemen. 

📈Moritz Seider (DET), ADP: 163.7 | 7 Goals, 50 Points (136th in NHL Scoring)

Many were baffled when Steve Yzerman decided to draft the young German 6th overall in 2019, but who’s laughing now! Seider should absolutely be a Calder finalist, and would be my pick to win the award. 

📈Jacob Markstrom (CGY), ADP: 134.4 | 37 Wins (4th), .922 SV% (3rd)

Jacob Markstrom’s first season in Calgary was less than ideal (22-19-2, 2.68 GAA, .904 SV%, -4.19 GSAA); but like his team, Markstrom bounced back in a major way this season, posting a 37-15-9 record with a 2.22 GAA, .922 SV%, and a 19.11 GSAA. Markstrom’s 9 shutouts led all goaltenders this season, and he should be a Vezina finalist this season. 

📈Tristan Jarry (PIT), ADP: 113.2 | 34 Wins (8th), .919 SV% (8th)

If you’ve listened to the podcast long-enough, you likely heard us talk about Tristan Jarry as a real value pick in the pre-season. Jarry started nearly 60 games this season while posting a 34-18-6 record, 4 shutouts, 2.42 GAA, .919 SV%, and 14.28 GSAA. Great value for a goaltender that was available on average in the 10th round of drafts. 

Fantasy Hockey Zeros 

The following are players (or teams) that underperformed this past season, based on their ADP and/or past seasons performance. 

📉New York Islanders | 36-34-10, 5th in Metro, -8 Goal Diff.

Many had picked the New York Islanders to make a deep playoff run this season, but a very long road trip to start the year put the team behind the 8-ball early. 

📉Vegas Golden Knights | 42-31-8, 4th in Pacific, +15 Goal Diff.

To the delight of hockey fans everywhere outside of Sin City, the Golden Knights missed the playoffs for the first time in their existence. After all the blockbuster deals and cap circumvention, expectations within the organization were cup or bust. For fantasy managers, the long-term injuries to Mark Stone, Max Pacioretty, Alec Martinez, and Robin Lehner were all big disappointments this season. 

📉Connor Hellebuyck (WPG), ADP: 25.1 | 28 Wins (13th), .910 SV% (33rd)

Connor Hellebuyck rewarded fantasy managers that took him on average in the second or third round by posting his career-worst GAA (2.97) and very pedestrian .910 SV%. Zero G draft strategy anyone?  

📉Dougie Hamilton (NJD), ADP: 45.7 | 9 Goals,29 Points (290th in NHL Scoring)

Taken on average in the 4th round of drafts last Fall, Hamilton was a massive disappointment this season, posting just 30 points (9 goals) in his first season with New Jersey. This was Hamilton’s lowest point total since 2013-2014 when he was with the Bruins. 

📉Spencer Knight (FLA), ADP: 84.4 | 18 Wins (32nd), .905 SV% (41st)

Spencer Knight was actually great during the month of April, posting a 6-1-0 record with a 2.16 GAA and .925 SV%. The thing that makes Knight a fantasy zero for me is the inconsistency and infrequent starts this season after a brilliant playoff performance at the end of last season. Additionally, Knight’s season up to March 31st was less than ideal (13-9-3, 2.99 GAA, .902 SV%, -6.40 GSAA). 

📉Jack Eichel (VGK), ADP: 90.0 | 12 Goals, 22 Points (360th in NHL Scoring)

In his first 33 games with the Vegas Golden Knights, Eichel managed just 12 goals and 22 points. That is a 55-point pace over 82 games; a far cry from his 94-point pace in 2019-2020. Keep in mind that Eichel is coming back from a major surgery and adjusting to new surroundings; however, that level of production is disappointing no matter which way you slice it. If you consider some of the players taken after Eichel on average (Joe Pavelski, Nazem Kadri, Evgeni Malkin, Ryan Hartman, Jack Hughes), it becomes very clear how much of a bust the former Buffalo captain was this season.

📉Cole Caufield (MTL), ADP: 103.1 | 20 Goals, 40 Points (185th in NHL Scoring)

Martin St. Louis certainly turned around the performance of the Habs, and Cole Caufield in particular. Below are the numbers for Caufield prior to St. Louis’ arrival, and after. Caufield appears in this portion of the segment due to his performance during the first half of the year, and the serious draft capital that many fantasy managers wasted on draft day.

  • Prior to St. Louis: 9 points, 1 goal in 31 games played. 
  • After St. Louis: 35 points, 22 goals in 37 games played.
📉Jeff Petry (MTL), ADP: 105.5 | 6 Goals, 26 Points (323rd in NHL Scoring)

Before falling off an absolute cliff this season, Petry posted four consecutive seasons of 40+ points, and generally provided nice category coverage (hits, blocks, PIMS). After helping lead Montreal to the Cup Final last Spring, most fantasy managers were eager to draft Petry somewhere around the 9th round in drafts, a major mistake in hindsight.

Playoff Predictions

Eastern Conference

Washington Capitals (WC2) vs. Florida Panthers (A1)
  • Regular Season Series: FLA Won 2-1-0
  • Prediction: Florida (Unanimous)
3.31Goals For/GM4.14✅
2.95Goals Against/GM2.86✅
+260DraftKings Odds-340
16%Probability To Win84%
Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) vs. Toronto Maple Leafs (A2)
  • Regular Season Series: Tied 2-2-0
  • Prediction: Toronto Maple Leafs (Devon), Tampa Bay Lightning (Bruce, John, Tyler)
Tampa BayVS.Toronto
3.44Goals For/GM3.79✅
2.77✅Goals Against/GM3.09
+100DraftKings Odds-120
38%Probability To Win62%
Boston Bruins (WC1) vs. Carolina Hurricanes (M1)
  • Regular Season Series: CAR Won 3-0-0
  • Prediction: Boston Bruins (Devon, Tyler), Carolina Hurricanes (Bruce, John)
3.10Goals For/GM3.38✅
2.63Goals Against/GM2.44✅
-105DraftKings Odds-115
51%Probability To Win49%
Pittsburgh Penguins (M3) vs. New York Rangers (M2)
  • Regular Season Series: NYR Won 3-1-0
  • Prediction: Pittsburgh Penguins (John), New York Rangers (Bruce, Devon, Tyler)
PittsburghVS.New York
3.26✅Goals For/GM3.05
2.70Goals Against/GM2.49✅
-110DraftKings Odds-110
56%Probability To Win44%

Western Conference: 

Nashville Predators (WC2) vs. Colorado Avalanche (C1)
  • Regular Season Series: NSH Won 3-1-0
  • Prediction: Colorado Avalanche (Unanimous)
3.19Goals For/GM3.79✅
3.03Goals Against/GM2.82✅
+450DraftKings Odds-650
8%Probability To Win92%
St. Louis Blues (C3) vs. Minnesota Wild (C2)
  • Regular Season Series: STL Won 3-0-0
  • Prediction: St. Louis Blues (Devon), Minnesota Wild (Bruce, John, Tyler)
St. LouisVS.Minnesota
3.77✅Goals For/GM3.72
2.86✅Goals Against/GM3.06
+130DraftKings Odds-150
25%Probability To Win75%
Dallas Stars (WC1) vs. Calgary Flames (P1)
  • Regular Season Series: CGY Won 2-0-1
  • Prediction: Calgary Flames (Unanimous)
2.83Goals For/GM3.58✅
2.99Goals Against/GM2.51✅
+235DraftKings Odds-300
24%Probability To Win76%
Los Angeles Kings (P3) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)
  • Regular Season Series: EDM Won 3-1-0
  • Prediction: Edmonton Oilers (Unanimous)
Los AngelesVS.Edmonton
2.87Goals For/GM3.49✅
2.83✅Goals Against/GM3.07
+200DraftKings Odds-250
32%Probability To Win68%

Shop Now | Amazon.ca

New Amazon Music Unlimited subscribers will receive access to 6 months of Disney+! Users that sign up for an Amazon Music Unlimited subscription, starting at $7.99 per month for Prime members ($9.99 for non-Prime), will have access to Disney+ for 6 months. Renews automatically. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply.

The Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast is a proud partner of Amazon.ca! As an affiliate of Amazon, the Hacks will bring you the latest deals and promotions from the world’s largest online retailer. If you enjoy and appreciate our podcast, blog, or other forms of content, please support us by using our affiliate link (title above, banner below) before making your purchases on Amazon. There are no hidden fees or additional costs to you, just a simple, FREE way to show your support. Thank you! 

The Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast – Available On All Podcast Directories

FHH Artwork For Screens, Apple

DraftKings Information

As a member of The Hockey Podcast Network (THPN), the Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast is a proud partner of DraftKings! 

Hockey fans, the pursuit for the Stanley Cup is on and DraftKings Sportsbook — an Official Sports Betting Partner of the NHL — has an unbelievable offer for the most exciting playoffs in sports. New customers can bet FIVE DOLLARS on any team to win and get ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS IN FREE BETS no matter what — win or lose! 

Looking to turn a small bet into a BIG pay day during playoffs? With DraftKings SAME GAME PARLAYS, you can do just that!Create your own parlay by combining multiple bets like which team will win, how many goals will be scored, and more! It’s your shot at an even BIGGER PAYOUT! 

DraftKings is safe, secure, and reliable. Best of all, you can deposit and withdraw your cash whenever you want.

Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app NOW, use promo code THPN, bet FIVE DOLLARS on any NHL team to win, and get ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS IN FREE BETS no matter what! That’s code THPN at DraftKings Sportsbook — An Official Sports Betting Partner of the NHL. Minimum age and eligibility restrictions apply. See show notes for details.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL/IN/MI/NJ/PA/WV/WY), 1-800-NEXT STEP (AZ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO/NH), 888-789-7777/visit http://ccpg.org/chat  (CT), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-877-770-STOP (7867) (LA), 877-8-HOPENY/text HOPENY (467369) (NY), visit OPGR.org (OR), call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN), or 1-888-532-3500 (VA).

21+ (18+ WY). Physically present in AZ/CO/CT/IL/IN/IA/LA/MI/ /NJ/NY/ PA/TN/VA/WV/WY only. Min. $5 deposit required. Eligibility restrictions apply. See http://draftkings.com/sportsbook for details.

Share this post