Colorado Clinches The Cup, NHL Awards & Trade Rumours
Join the Hacks for episode 68 of the Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast! This week we’re discussing the Colorado Avalanche’s Stanley Cup Championship – individual performances & off-season moves; results of the NHL Awards, NHL trade rumours (and potential fantasy hockey impact), and a reminder about the Dobber Hockey giveaway contest! Also, find out who makes John’s List, our Fantasy Lock Of The Week, and Headlines from around the league.
Subscribe to our podcast on all major directories; and stay up to date with the latest in fantasy hockey news and fantasy hockey advice. Be sure to visit LeftWingLock.com, the best source for fantasy hockey intelligence; and The Hockey Podcast Network for more great hockey-related content.
- NHL Awards – Did the right player with the Hart Trophy?
- Paul Maurice is taking his talents to South Beach
- Pierre-Luc Dubois will test free agency in 2024, will the Jets blow up the roster?
- Bergeron back to Bean Town?
- Joel Farabee undergoes disc replacement surgery; 3-4 month recovery
- Filip Forsberg and the Predators are far apart on contract negotiations
- Cale Makar’s incredible season
- Stanley Cup Final, off-season player movement (fantasy spin)
Stay In Touch
Twitter | @FHHacks
Instagram | @FantasyHockeyHacks
Facebook | Facebook.com/FantasyHockeyHacks
FHH Website | FantasyHockeyHacks.com
Fantasy Hockey Questions? Email us at FantasyHockeyHacks@Gmail.com
Left Wing Lock | #1 Source For Fantasy Hockey Intelligence – starting goalies, line combinations, statistics, and much more!
NHLShop.ca | 2022 Stanley Cup Champions – Colorado Avalanche! Get Championship Gear Here
Draft Kings | Use Promo Code THPN for current offers and promotions
Amazon.ca | Sign-up for a FREE 30-Day Trial of Amazon Prime; and get 21% OFF a 4K Fire Stick to stream Prime Video!
If you have been listening to our podcast for a while, you’ve undoubtedly heard about “John’s List”; which is basically John’s $h!t list of players past and present. We’ve decided to make this a regular segment on the podcast and will include it in the blog for fun as well. If you have any suggestions for players we should add to the list, let us know!
Nikita Kucherov – During the final 25 seconds of game 6, Kucherov skated to the bench to get a stick; the equipment manager didn’t have one for him – so he proceeded to throw his gloves at him from the ice!! 👎
What in the world was Nikita Kucherov doing in the final 25 seconds of that hockey game? #StanleyCup pic.twitter.com/3IJxuIQpeK
— Nick Murray (@NickMurray91) June 27, 2022
Fantasy Lock Of The Week (June 20 – 27, 2022) | Presented by Left Wing Lock
🔥Cale Makar, D | DK Salary: $10,400 | FPPG: 17.8 in Stanley Cup Final
- 7 Pts (3 G), 20 SOG, 56 iCF (2nd on COL), 23 iSCF (4th), 6 iHDCF (5th), 4 PIMS, 14 Hits, 27:03 TOI!
HONORABLE MENTION: Victor Hedman | DK Salary: $8800 | FPPG: 14.38 in Stanley Cup Final
- 1 G, 4 A, 23 SOG (1st), 43 iCF (1st), 12 iSCF (4th), 12 Hits, 2 PIMS, 25:09 TOI.
Headlines With The Hacks | June 20 – 27, 2022
The 2021-2022 regular season has wrapped, but if you’re planning to defend your fantasy hockey championship next season be sure to get your draft kit from our partner, Left Wing Lock. Stay tuned for details.
In this segment, the Hacks will discuss the latest during the Stanley Cup Final, and news from around the league.
News This Week
- On Tuesday (June 21) the NHL held their annual awards night
- Igor Shesterkin won the Vezina trophy for the league best goaltender (no surprise here). 36-13-4 record, 2.07 GAA (1st), .935 SV% (1st), 39.86 GSAx, 6 Shutouts (3rd).
- Mortitz Seider won the Calder trophy for rookie of the year (was there ever any doubt)? 50 points and 7 goals in 82 games played! Seider was just shy of 2 hits/game (1.84) and 2 blocks/game (1.96) in his rookie season!
- Cale Makar won the Norris trophy for the league’s best defenseman this season. (I think he may win a few more of these down the road). Career-high 86 points and 28 goals in 77 games played!
- Auston Matthews won the Hart Trophy for the MVP (Lol!). Igor got robbed on this one. Career-high 106 points and 60 goals in 73 games played!
- Auston Matthews also won the Ted Lindsay award (which means pretty much everyone (except me) felt bad for the Leafs this year.
- What have we learned from this? 97 and 29 fatigue has set in. This pair has been so good every year, that it is now expected as opposed to spectacular.
- Paul Maurice has been named the new coach of the Florida Panthers, replacing Jack Adams finalist Andrew Brunette. What is it about coaches in Florida?
- Elliott Friedman reported during intermission of game 4 of the SCF that Pierre-Luc Dubois intends to test unrestricted free agency in the summer of 2024 – will NOT be signing an extension to stay with the Jets. PLD is an RFA with arbitration rights. Winnipeg would like to re-sign Dubois.
- Speaking of the Jets, Frank Seravalli reported that Winnipeg has started exploring the market for Captain Blake Wheeler. With rumors surrounding Mark Scheifele as well, you have to wonder if the Jets look at blowing things up… What is the fantasy value of Kyle Connor, Nikolaj Ehlers, and Connor Hellebuyck next season?
- Friedman also reported that Nazem Kadri’s name has been connected to the Washington Capitals, something we discussed in the last episode. JT Miller was another player associated with the Caps.
- In an interview with NHL.com Barry Trotz says he turned down the Winnipeg Jets coaching job and will not coach in the 22-23 season. He does not rule out a return to coaching, but will be taking time off to focus on his family. Trotz still has one year remaining on his contract with the New York Islanders.
- Word out of Boston is Patrice Bergeron will return to the Bruins on a 1 year deal. The report did not mention salary.
- Reports out Vegas say Riley Smith and the Golden Knights have a verbal agreement on a 3 year $5 million AAV contract extension. It may take some time for this to be officially announced as Vegas has some salary cap issues.
- Chris Krieder of the NYR has surgery on his wrist Friday, expected 2-4 week recovery time.
- Joel Farabee of the Philadelphia Flyers underwent successful disc replacement surgery on friday. Recovery time is 3-4 months
- Luke Richardson will be the 40th head coach of the Chicago Blackhawks. Richardson played 1400+ games in the NHL, 8 years as a NHL Assistant Coach and 4 years as an AHL Head Coach.
- Frank Seravalli reported this week that Filip Forsberg and the Predators are far apart on a contract extension, “The two sides have made little progress, according to sources, and remain far apart on both dollars and the type of contract structure he’d prefer to stay a Pred. Sources indicate the Predators are cognizant of that reality and are beginning to examine alternative options in an attempt to replace Forsberg – whether it’s through the trade market or in free agency.”
- Forsberg posted a career-high 84 points and 42 goals.
- The Boston Bruins have signed GM Don Sweeney to a multi-year contract extension. His current deal was set to expire on Thursday. Sweeney was hired in the 2015-2016 Season
Stanley Cup Final
GAME 4 | Colorado Pushes Tampa To The Brink – 3-2 OT Win
- Nazem Kadri was the hero in overtime, giving the Avs a 3-2 win in game 4 and a 3-1 lead in the series. Kadri had not played since injuring his thumb against the Oilers on June 4th. This was Kadri’s first career overtime playoff goal! 1 OT GWG, 2 SOG, 5 iCF, 1 iSCF, 1 iHDCF, 18:42 TOI.
- Nathan MacKinnon scored his first goal of the series after posting a game-high eight shots on goal – 1 G, 8 SOG, 14 iCF, 6 iSCF, 3 iHDCF, 27:03 TOI.
- Darcy Kuemper outplayed Vasilevskiy again – 37 Saves, 1.67 GAA, .949 SV%, 1.20 GSAx.
- Andrei Vasilevskiy – 35 Saves, 2.50 GAA, .921 SV%, 1.17 GSAx.
- Victor Hedman posted a team-high seven shots on goal – 1 G, 7 SOG, 9 iCF, 7 iSCF, 30:01 TOI.
- Anthony Cirelli impressed again, scoring 36 seconds into the game – 1 G, 5 SOG, 7 iCF, 3 iSCF, 3 iHDCF, 23:52 TOI.
- Controversy post-game, as Jon Cooper alluded to a missed call in OT, which many suggested was too many men on the ice…
- Mikhail Sergachev played a TON of minutes (32:49 TOI) for the Bolts in game 4. Only Cale Makar (34:43 TOI) played more minutes among all skaters. Sergachev also led Tampa skaters in hits with 3.
- Darcy Kuemper has now outplayed Andrei Vasilevskiy in 3 of the last 4 games.
- Kuemper – 2.67 GAA, .900 SV%, -1.27 GSAx
- Vasilevskiy – 2.71 GAA, .913 SV%, -0.19 GSAx
- Per NHL.com: The Avs faced 1-0 and 2-1 deficits but emerged with their ninth comeback win of the 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs, which stands one back of the single-postseason record held by the 2009 Penguins (10).
- Pet NHL.com: Rantanen (4-10—14 in 8 GP) extended his point streak to eight games, and now has 0-8—8 in the 2022 Stanley Cup Final. He is the second player in NHL history with eight assists through the first four games in a Final, joining Gretzky who had eight assists through four games in 1988.
GAME 5 | Tampa Stays Alive With 3-2 Regulation Win
- Valeri Nichushkin continued his impressive playoff run – 1 G, 1 A, 5 SOG, 5 iCF, 2 iSCF, 1 iHDCF, 3 Hits, 20:37 TOI. 15 Pts, 9 G in 19 GP.
- Cale Makar improves his bid for the Conn Smythe – 1 G, 1 A, 5 SOG, 9 shot attempts, 5 iSCF, 1 iHDCF, second among all skaters with 6 hits, 28:09 TOI. 3rd in playoff scoring behind McDavid (33) and Draisaitl (32) with 29 Pts, 8 G in 19 GP.
- Now -300 favourite to win the playoff MVP.
- 5 SOG in his last 3 games!
- Darcy Kuemper was less than spectacular – 26 Saves, 3.06 GAA, .897 SV%, -0.83 GSAx.
- Andre Burakovsky remained out for the Avalanche.
- Ondrej Palat – 1 G, 3 SOG, 4 iCF, 3 iSCF, 2 iHDCF, 2 Hits, 20:15 TOI.
- Nikita Kucherov – 1 G, 6 SOG, 13 iCF, 5 iSCF, 2 iHDCF, 1 Hit, 21:22 TOI.
- Corey Perry – 2 A, 2 Shots, 2 iCF, 2 Hits, 12:16 TOI.
- Andrei Vasilevskiy – 2.00 GAA, .946 SV%, 0.40 GSAx
- Brayden Point remained out for the Lightning.
- Ondrej Palat now has 12 game-winning goals for the Tampa Bay Lightning in his playoff career! Joe Pavelski (14) and Evgeni Malkin (13) are the only active players with more game-winning goals in the postseason! Palat leads all Tampa players in these playoffs with 18 even-strength points.
- Corey Perry when facing elimination has posted 17 Pts (10 G) in 27 contests (15-12 record).
GAME 6 | Colorado Avalanche – 2022 Stanley Cup Champions!
- Nathan MacKinnon grabs a share of the playoffs goal-scoring lead; tying Evander Kane (who played 5 less games) with 13 goals. 1 G, 1 A, 7 SOG, 11 shot attempts, 9 iSCF, 2 iHDCF, 2 Hits, 65% FOW, 22:28 TOI.
- Arturri Lehkonen (pending RFA) was a very important acquisition for the Avalanche! Lehkonen scored the Stanley Cup winning goal, and also scored the series-clinching goal in the Western Conference Final against the Edmonton Oilers. 1 G, 3 SOG, 5 shot attempts, 2 iSCF, 1 iHDCF, 3 Hits, 19:07 TOI. 14 Points, 8 Goals in 20 playoff games – a 57 point, 33 goal pace over 82 games. Any upside in fantasy for next season?
- Darcy Kuemper – 22 Saves, 1.00 GAA, .957 SV%, 0.78 GSAx.
- Steven Stamkos had the lone goal for Tampa – 1 G, 2 SOG, 2 shot attempts, 1 iSCF, 21:09 TOI.
- Andrei Vasilevskiy – 28 Saves, 2.07 GAA, .933 SV%, 1.12 GSAx
- Cale Makar is the first player ever to win the Hobey Baker, Calder Trophy, Norris Trophy, Conn Smythe Trophy, and Stanley Cup Trophy – and he is just 23-years old! 🤯 Received 1st place votes from all 18 voters for the Conn Smythe.
- The Avalanche won the Stanley Cup with a record of 16-4. They were 9-1 on the road, tied for the fewest losses as the visiting team since 1987. Colorado NEVER trailed in a series!
- Connor McDavid (33) and Leon Draisaitl (32) are 1 and 2 in playoff scoring, despite not playing since June 6th!
- Ondrej Palat finished 3rd in even-strength scoring with 19 points (11 goals), bested only by McDavid (24) and Draisaitl (22). Palat’s 11 goals were tied for second in scoring.
- Darcy Kuemper provided marginally better goaltending in this series than Andrei Vasilevskiy, but neither goaltender was really spectacular…
- Kuemper: 138 Saves, 2.45 GAA, .908 SV%, -1.32 GSAx
- Vasilevskiy: 191 Saves, 3.23 GAA, .905 SV%, -0.71 GSAx
- Does Darcy Kuemper return next season? $4.5M AAV in 2021-2022
- Jared Bednar became the first head coach to win an ECHL, AHL, and NHL Championship!
- According to The Athletic, BetMGM has released odds for the 2023 Stanley Cup, they are:
- Colorado | +450
- Toronto | +850 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
- Tampa Bay | +900
- Florida | +1000
- Carolina | +1200
- Vegas | +1400
“The dynasty will be denied, and a new legacy begins. They’ve reached the summit! The @Avalanche are 2022 Stanley Cup champions!”
From the lows to the highs, we look back at another unforgettable #StanleyCup Playoffs.
🎶: @thehipofficial pic.twitter.com/ysxMdsuDG9
— Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) June 27, 2022
Dobber Hockey Giveaway
Dobber Hockey has generously provided the Fantasy Hockey Hacks with 5 prize packs to give away to our listeners/followers! Each prize pack includes a copy of the Dobber 2022 Fantasy Hockey Prospect Report; and 2022-2023 Fantasy Hockey Guide! I am a long-time reader of the Fantasy Hockey Guide, and would strongly recommend it to all fantasy hockey managers looking to win their league. The prospect report is new for me, and I’m looking forward to diving into that soon. On July 4th, Hadi Kalakeche, Associate Editor & QMJHL Regional Scout for Dobber Prospects will be joining us as we preview the 2022 NHL Entry Draft!
- Like, retweet/share the post on Twitter and Instagram
- Follow us on Twitter and Instagram; bonus points if you subscribe on YouTube!
- Comment/mention a friend that you think would benefit from the prize pack.
- We will announce all 5 winners on July 5th, following the release of our NHL Entry Draft episode. Good luck!
Big thanks to @DobberHockey for generously providing 5 prize packs for our listeners/followers!
Enter to win 2022 Fantasy Prospects Report & 2022-2023 Fantasy Guide!
✅ Like & Retweet/Share
✅ Follow Us
✅ Mention anyone that would be interested! pic.twitter.com/TkLCU1xz8L
— Fantasy Hockey Hacks (@FHHacks) June 21, 2022
Subscribe To The Fantasy Hockey Hacks Email Newsletter
Get the latest fantasy hockey news, advice, rankings, and content sent directly to your inbox. Stay one step ahead of your competition in your quest for a fantasy hockey championship!
Ask The Hacks
Have fantasy hockey or DFS questions? Send them in and get entered to win a FREE 1-year subscription to the Left Wing Lock iPhone app!
Shop Now | NHLShop.ca
This episode is brought to you in part by NHLShop.ca!
The Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast is a proud partner of NHLShop.ca; the best source for all your officially licensed NHL apparel and merchandise! Follow the links in our show notes, or on our website for the latest deals and promotions. Do you have a Colorado Avalanche fan in your life? Championship Gear for the 2022 Stanley Cup Champions is now available! Hats, t-shirts, sweaters, mugs, and much more! USE PROMO CODE NHLFS80 to Get FREE shipping on orders over $80. Terms and conditions apply, see store for details.
Full disclosure, Fantasy Hockey Hacks may receive a small commission for your purchase, which helps us to continue providing original content.
The Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast – Available On All Podcast Directories
As a member of The Hockey Podcast Network (THPN), the Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast is a proud partner of DraftKings!
Hockey fans, the pursuit for the Stanley Cup is on and DraftKings Sportsbook — an Official Sports Betting Partner of the NHL — has an unbelievable offer for the most exciting playoffs in sports. New customers can bet FIVE DOLLARS on any team to win and get ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS IN FREE BETS no matter what — win or lose!
Looking to turn a small bet into a BIG pay day during playoffs? With DraftKings SAME GAME PARLAYS, you can do just that! Create your own parlay by combining multiple bets like which team will win, how many goals will be scored, and more! It’s your shot at an even BIGGER PAYOUT!
DraftKings is safe, secure, and reliable. Best of all, you can deposit and withdraw your cash whenever you want.
Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app NOW, use promo code THPN, bet FIVE DOLLARS on any NHL team to win, and get ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS IN FREE BETS no matter what! That’s code THPN at DraftKings Sportsbook — An Official Sports Betting Partner of the NHL. Minimum age and eligibility restrictions apply. See show notes for details.
If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL/IN/MI/NJ/PA/WV/WY), 1-800-NEXT STEP (AZ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO/NH), 888-789-7777/visit http://ccpg.org/chat (CT), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-877-770-STOP (7867) (LA), 877-8-HOPENY/text HOPENY (467369) (NY), visit OPGR.org (OR), call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN), or 1-888-532-3500 (VA).
21+ (18+ WY). Physically present in AZ/CO/CT/IL/IN/IA/LA/MI/ /NJ/NY/ PA/TN/VA/WV/WY only. Min. $5 deposit required. Eligibility restrictions apply. See http://draftkings.com/sportsbook for details.