Welcome back to the Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast!
In the tenth episode of the podcast, Devon, Bruce, and John discuss recent news from around the NHL, including playoff results and highlights, suspensions, injuries, and more. We also cover DFS picks that we like for the upcoming week as the second round of the NHL Playoffs continue.
Some highlights to note:
- Playoff Carey Price is a real thing
- Vegas recovers and manages to tie the series with Colorado
- Mark Scheifele receives 4 game suspension for his hit on Jake Evans
- NHL Award nominees, and our predictions. We take a more in-depth look at the Vezina nominees for this year, and where we expect to see them taken in drafts for season-long leagues next year.
- DFS/Draft King picks for the upcoming week (June 7th – 14th)
Twitter | @FHHacks
Instagram | @FantasyHockeyHacks
Questions? Email us at FantasyHockeyHacks@Gmail.com
Hockey News | May 31 – June 7
- May 31st | Montreal Canadiens win game 7 and will move on to the second round against the Winnipeg Jets.
- Brendan Gallagher, Corey Perry, and Tyler Toffoli scored for the Habs.
- Another scoreless outing for Auston Matthews…
- May 31st | New York Islanders tie the series with the Bruins after an overtime winner by Casey Cizikas.
- May 31st | Gary Bettman upholds 8 game suspension for Nazem Kadri.
- May 31st | Ryan Reaves receives a 2 game suspension for his actions during game 1 of the Vegas and Colorado series.
- Not surprised, George Parros and the Department of Player Safety are completely incompetent.
- June 1st | Tampa Bay Lightning jumped out to a 2-0 series lead after 2-1 win on Tuesday night. UPDATE: TB is now up 3-1 in the series. Chance to close out the series on Tuesday night.
- Anthony Cirelli scores the game winner with a solid solo effort. Keep an eye out in DFS!
- June 2nd | NHL Draft Lottery held. We now know the order of the upcoming NHL Entry Draft will be:
- Buffalo Sabres
- Seattle Kraken
- Anaheim Ducks
- New Jersey Devils
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Detroit Red Wings
- San Jose Sharks
- Los Angeles Kings
- Vancouver Canucks
- Ottawa Senators
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Calgary Flames
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Dallas Stars
- New York Rangers
The 2021 NHL Draft Lottery will set the order for the first 15 picks of the 2021 NHL Draft when it is held Wednesday (7 p.m. ET; NBCSN, SN, TVA, NHLN).https://t.co/zum1GOomAl
— NHL.com (@NHLdotcom) June 2, 2021
- June 2nd | According to Michael Russo of The Athletic, the Minnesota Wild are believed to have offered Kirill Kaprisov an eight-year contract extension with an AAV of $8 million. It’s believed Kaprisov may be looking for more per season and/or a shorter term contract.
The Wild have reportedly offered Kirill Kaprizov an eight-year contract:https://t.co/r2bOtChVrR
— DFO Hockey Rundown (@DFOHockey) June 2, 2021
- June 2nd | Connor McDavid, Sidney Crosby, and Auston Matthews are nominated for the Ted Lindsay Award – MVP as voted on by the players. Generally the more coveted award for the players when compared to the Hart.
- Devon’s Pick: Connor McDavid
- Bruce’s Pick: Connor McDavid
- John’s Pick: Connor McDavid
Sidney Crosby, Auston Matthews and Connor McDavid were named finalists for the Ted Lindsay Award given annually to the most outstanding player in the NHL as voted by fellow members of the NHL Players’ Association. https://t.co/m1qYzsW0KU
— NHL.com (@NHLdotcom) June 2, 2021
- June 2nd | Mark Scheifele throws a dirty, and dangerous hit on Jake Evans in the third period of game 1. How many games will he get?
- Montreal takes game 1 with a 5-3 victory.
Mark Scheifele tossed for flattening Jake Evans after he scores on the empty net. pic.twitter.com/kE6nU3vDCD
— Brady Trettenero (@BradyTrett) June 3, 2021
- June 3rd | Scheifele receives a 4 game suspension. Severe enough?
- June 4th | Jonathan Marchessault and Max Pacioretty score 45 seconds apart to take the lead late in game three. Colorado leads the series 2-1.
- June 5th | Lady Byng nominees announced. Auston Matthews (TOR), Jacob Slavin (CAR), Jared Spurgeon (MIN).
- Devon’s Pick: Jacob Slavin
- Bruce’s Pick: Jacob Slavin
- John’s Pick: Jared Spurgeon
- June 5th | Evgeni Malkin has undergone right knee surgery, not expected to be ready for the start of training camp.
- June 5th | Max Domi to miss up to six months after shoulder surgery.
- June 6th | Selke nominees are revealed. Patrice Bergeron (BOS), Alexandre Barkov (FLA), Mark Stone (VGK).
- Devon’s Pick: Mark Stone
- Bruce’s Pick: Mark Stone
- John’s Pick: Mark Stone
- Should Draisaitl have been nominated?
- 2nd in league scoring, 2nd in +/- at +29.
- June 6th | Carey Price makes 26 saves as the Habs beat down the Winnipeg Jets in game 3, final score of 5-1. Montreal up 3-0 in the series.
- Who saw this coming?
- Price has a 1.33 GAA and .954 SV% through three games. 8.00 Goals Saved Above Expected.
- June 6th | Vegas Golden Knights make their way back into the series with a 5-1 victory over the Colorado Avalanche!
- Hat trick for Jonathan Marchessault!
Vezina Debate | Best Goalie In The NHL?
- June 1st | Marc-Andre Fleury (VGK), Phillip Grubauer (COL), and Andrei Vasilevskiy (TB) named Vezina Trophy finalists.
Marc-Andre Fleury (@GoldenKnights), Philipp Grubauer (@Avalanche) and Andrei Vasilevskiy (@TBLightning) are the three finalists for the 2020-21 Vezina Trophy. https://t.co/kbe35DGGtR #NHLAwards pic.twitter.com/166QYfMrFA
— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) June 1, 2021
- Marc-Andre Fleury (VGK)
- Record: 26-10-0
- 1.98 GAA, .928 SV%, 6 SO
- Average SA/G: 27.47 (Dobber Frozen Tools)
- Average Shot Distance (Ft): 35.4’ (Dobber Frozen Tools)
- Percentage Of Shots Considered High Danger: 23.3%
- High-Danger SV%: .779 (3RD)
- 17.9 Goals Saved Above Expected, 3rd among all goaltenders (MoneyPuck.com)
- 2020-2021 ADP: 121.0
- Robin Lehner ADP was 43.0. Bruce took Lehner 43rd in our ESPN league.
- Phillip Grubauer (COL)
- Record: 30-9-1
- 1.95 GAA, .922 SV%, 7 SO
- Average SA/G: 24.83 (Dobber Frozen Tools)
- Average Shot Distance (Ft): 38.5’ (Dobber Frozen Tools)
- Percentage Of Shots Considered High Danger: 20.8%
- High-Danger SV%: .770 (5TH)
- 5.2 Goals Saved Above Expected, 11th among all goaltenders (MoneyPuck.com)
- 2020-2021 ADP: 68.0
- 105th overall in our ESPN league.
- Andrei Vasilevskiy (TB)
- Record: 32-10-1
- 2.21 GAA, .925 SV%, 5 SO
- Average SA/G: 29.45 (Dobber Frozen Tools)
- Average Shot Distance (Ft): 35.9’ (Dobber Frozen Tools)
- Percentage Of Shots Considered High Danger: 22.2%
- High-Danger SV%: .784 (2ND)
- 18.2 Goals Saved Above Expected, 2nd among all goaltenders (MoneyPuck.com)
- 2020-2021 ADP: 7.0
- Devon took Vasilevskiy at 9th overall in ESPN.
- Devon’s Pick: Marc-Andre Fleury
- Bruce’s Pick: Marc-Andre Fleury
- John’s Pick: Marc-Andre Fleury
DFS Picks | June 7 – June 14
- Sebastion Aho, CAR | DK Salary: $7,000
- Averaging 12.3 FPPG
- 10 points (6 goals), 35 SOG in 9 playoff games. 7.2 Pts/60, fourth among all players!
- Playing on a line with Andrei Svechnikov, Teuvo Teravainen. Given his current salary this is a great play.
- Corey Perry, MTL | DK Salary: $2,800
- Averaging 5.4 FPPG (9.32 over his past 5 playoff games).
- Scored game winning and series clinching goal against Toronto.
- 4 points (2 goals) in series against the Leafs.
- Anthony Cirelli, TB | DK Salary: $3,400
- Averaging 6.6 FPPG
- Good lineup placement. Centering Alex Killorn and Steven Stamkos.
- Brandon Saad, COL | DK Salary: $3,100
- Averaging 11 FPPG last 5 games played.
- Good lineup placement.
- Goals in 6 of his last 7 games.
- Jonathan Marchessault, VGK | DK Salary: $5,700
- 6 points (4 goals) over his last 4 games.
- Playing on a dangerous line with Reilly Smith and William Karlsson.
- Salary is still reasonable.
- Victor Hedman, TB | DK Salary: $5,600
- Averaging 12.34 FPPG over his last 10 contests.
- 11 points (O goals), 22 SOG, and 18 BS over his last 10 games.
- Carey Price, MTL | DK Salary: $7,800
- Averaging 21.62 FPPG over his last 4 starts.
- Price has looked very good through the first 10 games of this playoff run with a 1.97 GAA and a .938 SV%.