Fantasy Hockey Week 6 Waiver Wire Picks & Preview
In the 34th episode of the Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast, the FHH team discusses the sixth week in the NHL, covering fantasy hockey week 6 waiver wire picks, schedule notes, and more. We’ll discuss players to focus on in week 6 (and beyond), what the schedule looks like for each team this week, get you up to date on the latest hockey news, and injury updates! Subscribe to our podcast on all major directories; and stay up to date with the latest in fantasy hockey news and fantasy hockey advice.
- Alex Ovechkin passes Brett Hull for 4th all-time on the NHL goal scoring list
- Connor McDavid recorded his 600th NHL point, 6th fastest to achieve the milestone
- Nathan MacKinnon out for ~3 weeks
- Bob Murray out as GM of the Anaheim Ducks
- Mark Stone returned for the Vegas Golden Knights
- Jack Eichel underwent artificial disk replacement surgery on Friday morning, no complications
Twitter | @FHHacks
Instagram | @FantasyHockeyHacks
Fantasy Hockey Questions? Email us at FantasyHockeyHacks@Gmail.com
Hockey News & Injury Report | Nov. 8-14, 2021
Presented by Sports Interaction – Canada’s Oddsmaker. Providing competitive odds on ALL sports. Follow the link here, or in our show notes to get up to $125 In FREE BETS
- Miles Wood is out indefinitely after electing to have surgery on his right hip.
Significant news here as #NJDevils Miles Wood is out indefinitely after right hip surgery.
That’s a big void this team will have to fill both on and off the ice. https://t.co/aEXmsjlpmk
— Amanda Stein (@amandacstein) November 8, 2021
- Alex Ovechkin scored his 741st goal to tie Brett Hull for the 4th spot on the NHL all-time goals list.
- John Tavares is DTD with an undisclosed injury.
- Erik Karlsson is out of COVID Protocol.
- The Anaheim Ducks placed GM Bob Murray on administrative leave pending an ongoing investigation.
- Sam Bennett scored in his return to the Florida Panthers lineup.
- Vitek Vanecek is apparently nursing a bit of an injury, Zac Fucale was recalled from AHL Hershey where he has a .933 SV% so far this season.
- Brayden Schenn is listed as DTD by the St. Louis Blues.
- Nathan MacKinnon will miss approximately 3 weeks due to a lower-body injury.
- Bob Murray resigned as GM of the Anaheim Ducks and entered into an alcohol-related abuse program.
Full details to come, but Bob Murray will resign as Anaheim GM and enter an alcohol-related abuse program.
— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) November 11, 2021
- Mike Smith suffered a set-back in practice and has been sent back to Edmonton for further evaluation. Miko Koskinen’s fantasy value gets a boost, and Stuart Skinner may see a few more starts as well.
Dave Tippett says Zack Kassian is day-to-day with a lower body injury. Mike Smith had a setback and has travelled back to Edmonton for further evaluation. Koskinen starts tonight vs. Boston.
— Tom Gazzola (@TomGazzola) November 11, 2021
- Sergei Bobrovsky returns for the Florida Panthers.
- Bowen Byram exits game versus Vancouver Canucks with an upper-body injury.
- Zach Fucale posted a shutout in NHL debut with the Washington Capitals.
— Washington Capitals (@Capitals) November 12, 2021
- The Ottawa Senators have 9 players on COVID protocol, the league is deciding the best course of action, which may involve re-scheduling games.
- Jack Eichel underwent artificial disk replacement surgery on Friday morning. According to Eichel, he will be an out-patient later in the day and the plan is to start working with Vegas strength and conditioning coaches in approximately 3 weeks. Return date 3-4 months.
- Alexander Ovechkin scored goal 742, passing Brett Hull for 4th all-time on the NHL’s goal scoring list.
— Washington Capitals (@Capitals) November 13, 2021
- Braden Holtby was listed as DTD. Jake Oettinger recalled from the AHL.
- Mark Stone is a game-time decision for Saturday’s contest with Vancouver.
- Kevin Hayes is activated from IR.
- Connor McDavid gets his 600th NHL point, the 6th fastest player to reach the milestone.
AHEM… Connor McDavid (@cmcdavid97) now has 6️⃣0️⃣0️⃣ career points.
That is all. pic.twitter.com/NgoAcelgnb
— NHL (@NHL) November 15, 2021
- J.T. Compher suffered an upper-body injury on Saturday. It was reported on Monday that Compher will miss about a month.
J.T. Compher will be out approximately a month, per Jared Bednar. Bowen Byram is in protocol. He won’t skate until he feels better.
— Peter Baugh (@Peter_Baugh) November 15, 2021
- The NHL will postpone Ottawa Senator games vs. New Jersey Tuesday, along with Thursday vs. Nashville, and Rangers in Ottawa Saturday because of the COVID-19 outbreak with 10 players in protocol.
- Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Ryan Ellis suffered a re-injury on Saturday vs. Dallas and is now considered week-to-week.
Injury update: Per AV, Flyers defenseman Ryan Ellis suffered a re-injury on Saturday vs. Dallas and is now considered week-to-week.
— Philadelphia Flyers (@NHLFlyers) November 15, 2021
Ask The Hacks
- I have a trade offer: SEND – McDavid, Slavin; RECEIVE – Matthews, Rantanen, and Panarin. Do I accept?
- Who do you value more in a season-long redraft league – Roope Hintz or Logan Couture?
- What do I do with Jeff Petry?
- Would you drop one of Jason Robertson, Tomas Hertl, Kevin Fiala or Dylan Larkin for Matt Duchene? Categories include G, A, PPP, GWG, +/-, Hits.
- Drop Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Rasmus Dahlin or Jeff Petry for Justin Faulk? G A PTS PPP SOG HITS BLK. Also, traded away Nugent-Hopkins for Ekblad. Good deal?
- Will Tyler Bertuzzi stay hot this year? Assuming he stays in the top line.
- Is it time to drop Grubauer and Vanecek?
- Is it time to sell-high on Troy Terry?
Edge Work | NHL Schedule, Week 6
Number of Games Played:
Teams With 4 Games: ARI, CGY, DET, MIN, NYI, NYR, TB, TOR, WSH
- Team Of Interest | The Detroit Red Wings could offer good value next week with road matchups against the Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Vegas Golden Knights, and Arizona Coyotes. Filip Zadina, Robby Fabbri, Pius Suter, Filip Hronek, and Nedeljkovic/Greiss should be available.
- Team Of Interest | The New York Rangers are another team you should consider for next week with matchups against Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, and Buffalo. Ryan Strome is available in 33% of leagues, and Kappo Kakko (10%) is playing with Strome and Artemi Panarin at 5v5.
- Team Of Interest | The Calgary Flames don’t necessarily have the most favourable schedule, but they do have the most fantasy relevant players available – Oliver Kylington (see below), Andrew Mangiapane (59%), Blake Coleman (41%), Sean Monahan (33%).
Teams With 3 Games: BUF, CAR, CBJ, CHI, DAL, EDM, FLA, LAK, MTL, NJD, NSH, OTT, PHI, PIT, SJS, SEA, STL, VAN, VGK, WPG
- Team Of Interest | The St. Louis Blues have a favourable schedule (on paper anyway) with matchups against the Arizona Coyotes, San Jose Sharks and Dallas Stars. Give strong consideration to Jordan Kyrou (56%), Robert Thomas (9%), and Brandon Saad (14%) for next week. All are playing in the top 6 and/or on PP1.
- Team Of Interest | The Columbus Blue Jackets have matchups against the Detroit Red Wings, Arizona Coyotes, and Vegas Golden Knights. Columbus is 11th in the league with 3.04 GF/GP and should provide fantasy value for next week with players like Cole Sillinger (5%), Boone Jenner (27%) widely available. Both players are playing on the top line with Jakub Voracek, and on PP1.
Teams With 2 Games: ANA, BOS, COL
- Teams Of Interest | The Anaheim Ducks likely have the most fantasy relevant/impactful players remaining on the NHL waiver wire, including: Troy Terry (66%), Ryan Getzlaf (53%), Adam Henrique (57%), Trevor Zegras (29%), Cam Fowler (53%), and Jamie Drysdale (18%). However, a player like J.T. Compher (29%) from the Colorado Avalanche is still available in 71% of Yahoo leagues and was just gifted the 1C (and PP1) role left by Nathan MacKinnon who is out ~3 weeks with a lower-body injury.
Edge Work | NHL Week 6 Waiver Wire Targets
Waiver wire targets will be focused on players with ownership ~50% or less.
Top Waiver Wire Targets
📈 J.T. Compher (C/RW), COL | Rostered: 30% (Yahoo) | GP: 2 (@VAN, @SEA) | Line: 1 (w/ Landeskog & Rantanen, PP1)
- We learned on Wednesday, November 10th that Nathan MacKinnon would miss approximately 3 weeks with a lower-body injury. This opens the door once again for J.T. Compher to fill in a prime spot and seriously produce over the next few weeks. To date, Compher has 9 points (5 goals, 3 PPP) in 10 games played. Currently on-pace for 74 points, Compher is shooting more than ever (2.3 SOG/GM, career is 1.6) while skating just under 20 minutes a night, and seeing nearly 62% PP share. UPDATE: Suffered from upper-body injury on Saturday night.
📈 Nazem Kadri (C), COL | Rostered: 36% (Yahoo) | GP: 2 (@VAN, @SEA) | Line: 2 (w/ Burakovsky & Nichushkin)
- Nazem Kadri has really bounced-back after a poor season with the Avalanche last year with 14 points in (4 goals) in 12 games played. With Compher leaving the game on Saturday night with an upper-body injury, Kadri posted 1 G, 2 A while playing 5:26 PPTOI (56.4% PP Share). Just two games next week, but against weaker competition. With Nathan Mackinnon already on the shelf, Kadri is definitely worth a short-term add (possibly beyond).
📈 Robert Thomas (C/RW), STL | Rostered: 16% (Yahoo) | GP: 3 (Vs.ARI, Vs.SJS, @DAL) | Line: 2 (w/ Barbashev & Tarasenko)
- Robert Thomas has been great this year for the St. Louis Blues, posting 15 points (1 goal, 88-point pace) in 14 games played. The majority of Thomas’ ice time has been played alongside Vladimir Tarasenko, who is also in the midst of a productive season himself (14 Pts, 7 Goals, 14 GP). 5v5 SH% (10.1), Individual SH% (6.7% vs. 11.3% 3-year Avg.), IPP (71.4%), and Sec. Assists % (35.7) all suggest that Thomas’ production to date is fairly sustainable.
📈 Jaden Schwartz (RW), SEA | Rostered: 24% (Yahoo) | GP: 3 (Vs.CHI, Vs.COL, Vs.WSH) | Line: 1 (w/ Eberle & Geekie, PP2)
- Schwartz has 9 points in his last 8 games played, and 11 points (3 G) in 15 total games played this season. Always a productive forward when healthy, the former Blue should be on your radar for the upcoming week and beyond. Current shooting percentage (8.1%) is well below his 3-year average of 12.3%, and 5v5 SH% (10%), Pts/60 (2.2), and Sec. Assist % (25%) are all within normal ranges, meaning we could see further positive regression. On-pace for 60 points.
📈 Jordan Eberle (RW), SEA | Rostered: 36% (Yahoo) | GP: 3 (Vs.CHI, Vs.COL, Vs.WSH) | Line: 1 (w/ Schwartz & Geekie, PP1)
- The former Islander has settled in with the Seattle Kraken, scoring 8 goals and 12 points in 15 games played this season on the top line and top power play. Eberle is seeing 18:44 ATOI and 3:20 PPTOI. Shooting percentage is high at 21.1% (3-year average is 13.2%), but other advanced analytics suggest that his production is not completely out of the norm. On-pace for 66 points.
📈 Mikael Granlund (C/RW), NSH | Rostered: 29% (Yahoo) | GP: 3 (@TOR, @OTT, @MTL) | Line: 1 (w/ Duchene & Kunin, PP1)
- Granlund is now up to 16 points (3 goals) in 15 games played to date this season, playing alongside mostly Matt Duchene and Luke Kunin. Currently on-pace for 87 points, Granlund has been incredibly productive for Nashville. The production may not be sustainable,but he is being given prime deployment at 1C and PP1 on a team putting up 2.87 GF/GP (18th) and has the 4th best PP in the league at 26.8%.
📈 Nico Hischier (C), NJD | Rostered: 26% (Yahoo) | GP: 3 (Vs.OTT, @FLA, @TB) | Line: 2 (w/ Zacha & Holtz, PP1)
- Nico Hischier has stepped up in Jack Hughes absence, and has 6 points (1 Goal) in his last 7 games played while playing on the top line and top power play. Underlying numbers suggest that we should see similar production from Hischier moving forward, assuming he maintains his current deployment.
📈 Evan Bouchard (D), EDM | Rostered: 40% (Yahoo) | GP: 3 (@WPG, Vs.WPG, Vs.CHI) | Pair: 1 (w/ Nurse, PP2)
- Bouchard has been simply fantastic for the Edmonton Oilers this season. Many expected him to take on a larger role this year, but nobody expected him to be skating on the top pair with Darnell Nurse so soon. Bouch has a total of 8 Pts (2 G) in 12 GP (on-pace for 55 points) while averaging 21:39 TOI and 2.7 SOG/GM. Power play time is still limited though as the Oilers have Barrie and Nurse ahead of Bouchard in that regard.
📈 Oliver Kylington (D), CGY | Rostered: 8% (Yahoo) | GP: 4 (@PHI, @BUF, @NYI, @BOS) | Pair: 1 (w/ Tanev)
- Oliver Kylington has been productive to start the season with 8 Pts (1 G) in 12 GP. Limited ice time at 16:13 ATOI, and no power play time to speak of; but he’s currently on-pace for 55 points this season, so ride him while he’s hot. A 4-game schedule next week certainly doesn’t hurt. Note: IPP is currently at 80% and his secondary assist % is nearly 60%, so some regression is certainly expected.
📈 Nate Schmidt (D), WPG | Rostered: 50% (Yahoo) | GP: 3 (Vs.EDM, @EDM, @VAN) | Pair: 1 (w/ Morrissey, PP1)
- Nate Schmidt is approaching must-own territory, as he now has 10 points (1 G) in 13 games played (on-pace for 63 points). On Thursday (November 11th) the former Canuck led all Jets skaters in total ice time (24:44) and PPTOI at 3:46 (62.8% PP Share)! Skating with Josh Morrissey on the team’s top pair 5v5.
📈 Jacob Slavin (D), CAR | Rostered: 49% (Yahoo) | GP: 3 (@VGK, @ANA, @LAK) | Pair: 1 (w/ Bear, PP2)
- Jacob Slavin is typically noted for being a solid two-way defender, and less so for his fantasy value. However, the Canes defenceman has 8 points through 11 games so far this season (60 point-pace). Playing an average of 23:40 on the top pair with Ethan Bear, Slavin also offers exposure to Carolina’s offensively talented top 6 which is currently ranked 3rd in the league at 3.73 GF/GP.
📈 Jonathan Quick (G), LAK | Rostered: 37% (Yahoo) | GP: 4 (Vs.WSH, Vs.CAR, Vs.ARI) | Role: Tandem (57% Net Share)
- November 11th Quick posted his 55th career shutout, and the Los Angeles Kings won their 7th straight game. The Kings now sit 4th in the Pacific Division, and are without Drew Doughty, Sean Walker, and Viktor Arvidsson. Quick has been excellent so far this season, posting a 4-3-1 record with a 1.98 GAA and .935 SV%. Cal Petersen (42%) has also been very good over his past 3 games played – 1.95 GAA, .930 SV%.
📈 Martin Jones (G), PHI | Rostered: 15% (Yahoo) | GP: (Vs.CGY, Vs.TB, Vs.BOS) | Role: Backup (27% Net Share)
- Martin Jones has been a pleasant surprise for the Philadelphia Flyers this season. In a limited sample size (3 games), Jones sports a 1.67 GAA and .950 SV%, 4.28 GSAx.🔥 Jones is unlikely to start many games, but he’s worthy of a spot start when he does.
📈 Chris Driedger (G), SEA | Rostered: 18% (Yahoo) | GP: 3 (Vs.CHI, Vs.COL, Vs.WSH) | Role: Backup (7% Net Share, Injury)
- Driedger finally made his Seattle Kraken debut on Tuesday, November 9th; and it did not go particularly well (4.26 GAA, .826 SV%). However, Driedger is coming back from injury, and we all saw what he was capable of last year with Florida. Obviously the Kraken are not the Panthers; but Phillip Grubauer has really struggled out of the gate (4-6-1, 3.17 GAA, .882 SV%) and I wonder if that will mean more starts for Driedger in the near future.
ALSO: Tuukka Rask (9%), Mikko Koskinen (73%), James Reimer (35%)/Adin Hill (31%), Alex Nedeljkovic (47%)/Thomas Greiss (15%).
Shop Now | NHLShop.ca
The Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast is a proud partner of NHLShop.ca! For all your officially licensed NHL merchandise, follow the links in our show notes, or on our website. From jerseys and hats, to socks, clocks, and more, NHLShop.ca is the best source for NHL apparel and merchandise. Visit the store today to see current promotions and offers. Terms and conditions apply.
Full disclosure, Fantasy Hockey Hacks may receive a small commission for your purchase, which helps us to continue providing original content.
2021 How To Win Your Fantasy Hockey League Series
- August 8th (Ep. 19) – Guide To Wingers
- August 12th (Ep. 20) – Guide To Centers
- August 19th (Ep. 21) – Guide To Defencemen
- August 29th (Ep. 22) – Guide To Goalies & Zero G Draft Strategy
- September 7th (Ep. 23) – 2021 Fantasy Hockey Guide & The Perfect Draft
BONUS: Dom Luszczyszyn’s (The Athletic) Fantasy Hockey Rankings & Cheat Sheet