Fantasy Hockey Week 7 Waiver Wire Picks & Preview
In the 35th episode of the Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast, the FHH team discusses the seventh week in the NHL, covering fantasy hockey week 7 waiver wire picks, schedule notes, and more. We’ll discuss players to focus on in week 7 (and beyond), what the schedule looks like for each team this week, get you up to date on the latest hockey news, and injury updates! Subscribe to our podcast on all major directories; and stay up to date with the latest in fantasy hockey news and fantasy hockey advice.
- Stuart Skinner the answer to Edmonton’s goaltending woes? Connor McDavid does it again!
- The Pittsburgh Penguins are purchased by the Fenway Sports Group
- Alexander Barkov out week-to-week
- Brayden Point out indefinitely
- Matt Duchene is on a mission!
- Marc-Andre Fleury turning it around in Chicago
Twitter | @FHHacks
Instagram | @FantasyHockeyHacks
Fantasy Hockey Questions? Email us at FantasyHockeyHacks@Gmail.com
If you have been listening to our podcast for a while, you’ve undoubtedly heard about “John’s List”; which is basically John’s $h!t list of players past and present. We’ve decided to make this a regular segment on the podcast and will include it in the blog for fun as well. If you have any suggestions for players we should add to the list, let us know!
Daniel Alfredson – Being the best player on a mediocre hockey team doesn’t make you a good player. He was only able to produce when the likes of Heatley, Spezza, or Hossa were around.
Hockey News & Injury Updates | Nov. 16-22, 2021
Presented by Sports Interaction – Canada’s Oddsmaker. Providing competitive odds on ALL sports. Follow the link here, or in our show notes to get up to $125 In FREE BETS
- Dion Phaneuf announces his retirement. The former Leaf’s captain played in 1,048 NHL games, scoring 494 points (137 Goals).
- Islanders defenceman Andy Green played in his 1,000th game against the TB Lightning on November 15th.
- Head coach John Hynes said that Filip Forsberg did not join the team on their current road trip, and will not be available for at least the next 3 games (back home on November 22nd).
- Ryan Ellis has been placed on LTIR – OUT until at least December 8th.
- The Wall Street Journal has reported that the Pittsburgh Penguins may be sold as early as this week to Fenway Sports Group LLC, which also owns the Boston Red Sox.
The Pittsburgh Penguins hockey team is in talks to be sold to Fenway Sports Group, owner of the Boston Red Sox, people familiar with the matter say https://t.co/F3zAMAclEj
— The Wall Street Journal (@WSJ) November 16, 2021
- Torey Krug returns to the St. Louis Blues lineup after missing 5 games.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs acquired Kyle Clifford from the St.Louis Blues for future considerations.
- With an assist, Ryan Getzlaf recorded his 1,000th NHL point against the Washington Capitals.
- Alexander Barkov is week-to-week after suffering a knee injury against the New York Islanders on Nov.16th.
— Brian Compton (@BComptonNHL) November 17, 2021
- Ryan Pulock will miss 4-6 weeks with a lower-body injury.
#Isles Injury Update: Ryan Pulock is out 4-6 weeks with a lower body injury.
— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) November 17, 2021
- Brendan Gallagher was fined $2,500 for punching Barclay Goodrow in the face.
— Left Wing Lock (@Left_Wing_Lock) November 17, 2021
- Mikael Backlund was fined $5,000 for cross-checking Travis Konecny.
- Seth Jones scored against the Seattle Kraken, his 300th NHL point.
— Hockey Daily 365 (@HockeyDaily365) November 18, 2021
- Ryan Ellis will miss 4-6 weeks with a lower-body injury.
Flyers defenseman Ryan Ellis expected to be out 4-6 weeks with lower body injury. Coach Alain Vigneault said it will be rest and rehab. No surgery at this point
— Adam Kimelman (@NHLAdamK) November 18, 2021
- Cole Caufield was recalled by the Montreal Canadiens.
Les Canadiens ont procédé au rappel de Cole Caufield du @RocketLaval. Alex Belzile a été cédé au club de la Ligue américaine.
— Canadiens Montréal (@CanadiensMTL) November 18, 2021
- Stuart Skinner made 45 saves (the most by an Oilers rookie at home), and Connor McDavid scored another highlight-reel goal as the Oilers beat the Jets in OT.
Stuart Skinner’s 45 saves are the most in history by an Oilers rookie in a home victory pic.twitter.com/YUBM0QqqTu
— Sportsnet Stats (@SNstats) November 19, 2021
- Darnell Nurse broke his finger against the Winnipeg Jets last night, will be out about 2-3 weeks. Slater Koekkoek is DTD. The Edmonton Oilers have recalled Philip Broberg.
- Max Comtois had hand surgery to repair a fractured bone in his hand, out 6 weeks.
- Anders Lee was placed in COVID protocol.
- The Colorado Avalanche gave head coach Jared Bednar a 2-year contract extension.
- 9 players from the Ottawa Senators were removed from COVID protocol.
- Brock Nelson scored the first ever goal at UBS arena, his first of 2 goals in the night.
- Matt Duchene scored a natural hat trick in less than 10 minutes during the third period of last night’s 6-3 loss to the Montreal Canadiens. Duchene on-pace for 92 points and 58 goals. 👀
- Philip Broberg made his NHL debut with the Edmonton Oilers last night, had 1 A in the first period, played a total of 14:24.
- The Tampa Bay Lightning announced that Brayden Point has been listed as out indefinitely with an upper-body injury. The injury occurred during the 3rd period of Saturday’s contest against the New Jersey Devils. Point was tripped up on a breakaway and crashed into the endboards. The Bolts center did take the penalty shot and finished with 20:27 TOI.
- Marc-Andre Fleury got his first SO as a member of the Chicago Blackhawks, making 40 saves in Sunday’s game against the Vancouver Canucks. Fleury appears to be turning things around, in his last 4 starts: 4-0-0, 1.23 GAA, .964 SV%, 1 SO. 🔥
- Ryan Hartman has been fined $4,250, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for slew-footing Tampa Bay’s Ross Colton.
Minnesota’s Ryan Hartman has been fined $4,250, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for Slew-footing Tampa Bay’s Ross Colton.
— NHL Player Safety (@NHLPlayerSafety) November 22, 2021
- Max Pacioretty is on the trip with the Golden Knights, but will not play tonight vs. St. Louis.
- Filip Forsberg could play this week, depending on how he reacts to practice.
#Preds Head Coach John Hynes says Filip Forsberg (IR) could “possibly” play this week, but it depends on how the winger responds to being on the ice with his team again and doing things at a higher level over the next few days.
— Brooks Bratten (@brooksbratten) November 22, 2021
- Carolina Hurricanes head coach Rod Brind’Amour confirmed that rookie Seth Jarvis will play his 10th NHL game tonight, burning off the first year of this entry-level contract.
Hurricanes head coach Rod Brind’Amour confirmed today that rookie forward Seth Jarvis will play his 10th NHL game tonight against the San Jose Sharks, thus burning off the first year of this entry-level contract with the team.
— The Athletic NHL (@TheAthleticNHL) November 22, 2021
Ask The Hacks
- Would you trade Elias Lindholm for Steven Stamkos?
- I received a trade proposal – Send: Zach Hyman, Ryan Gerzlaf. Receive: Nathan MacKinnon, Tyler Toffoli. Do I accept?
- Should I drop Thatcher Demko for Jonathan Quick?
- Who do you like more in a 1-year redraft league – Patrice Bergeron or Mark Scheifele?
- Which D-man would you prefer for the rest of the season – Devin Toews or Samuel Girard?
- With Nurse being placed on IR, which defenceman are you picking up: Kylington, Gostisbehere, Jensen, Andersson, Faulk, or Montour? Points only, redraft league.
Edge Work | NHL Schedule, Week 7
Need To Know:
Week 7 is a bit of an odd schedule with American Thanksgiving, and 4 light days (half the teams in action or less). The majority of games are being played on “off-days” – Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday.
- Monday – 6 Games
- Tuesday – 3 Games
- Wednesday – 14 Games
- Thursday – 0 (American Thanksgiving)
- Friday – 13 Games
- Saturday – 9 Games
- Sunday – 7 Games
Teams With 4 Games: ANA, BUF, CAR, CBJ, COL, NSH, OTT, PHI, PIT, SJS, STL, WPG,
- Team Of Interest | Coming off an 8-game winning streak, the Anaheim Ducks still have a number of fantasy-relevant players that are available in approximately a third of Yahoo leagues – Ryan Getzlaf (68%), Trevor Zegras (40%), Adam Henrique (60%), and Cam Fowler (64%). The Ducks have matchups next week against NSH, COL, OTT, and TOR.
- Team Of Interest | The Carolina Hurricanes are on an absolute tear to start the season, going 8-2-0 in their last 10 games and 13-2-0 overall (2nd in the league). The Canes faceoff against SJS, SEA, PHI, and WSH; and there are still a few players to consider for your fantasy roster – Martin Necas (66%), Seth Jarvis (2%), and Jacob Slavin (45%).
- Team Of Interest | The Columbus Blue Jackets have managed to be competitive this season, despite injuries to Laine and Domi. Columbus is 6-4-0 in their last 10 games, and currently sit 16th overall with a record of 9-5-0. CBJ takes on BUF, WPG, VAN, and STL next week; Boone Jenner (27%) and Cole Sillinger (5%) could be great pick-ups for next week.
Teams With 3 Games: BOS, CHI, DAL, EDM, FLA, MIN, MTL, NJD, NYI, NYR, SEA, TB, TOR, VAN, VGK, WSH
- Team Of Interest | Of teams that play 3 games next week, the Boston Bruins appear to have the most favourable matchups – BUF (3.06 GA/GP, 11th highest in the NHL), NYR (2.76 GA/GP), VAN (3.41, 6th highest). Check the availability of Jeremy Swayman (59%), Matt Grzelyk (21%), and Charlie Coyle (10%).
Teams With 2 Games: ARI, CGY, DET, LAK
- Teams Of Interest | After dismantling the Buffalo Sabres on Thursday night, the 9-3-5 Calgary Flames are sitting 7th in the NHL and have a record of 4-2-4 in their last 10 GP. Matchups with CHI and WPG next week. Check the availability of players like Backlund (14%), Coleman (37%), Mangiapane (64%), and Kylington (29%).
Edge Work | NHL Week 7 Waiver Wire Targets
Waiver wire targets will be focused on players with ownership ~50% or less.
Top Waiver Wire Targets
📈 Trevor Zegras (C/LW), ANA | Rostered: 42% (Yahoo) | GP: 4 (@NSH, @COL, Vs.OTT, Vs.TOR) | Line: 2 (w/ Deslauriers & Milano, PP1)
- Zegras has posted 5 points (4 goals) over his past 3 games, and has inserted himself back into the Calder conversation with 10 points (6 goals) in 16 games played this season. He’s been getting top power play usage and just under 17 minutes a game with Sonny Milano and Nicolas Deslauriers. Currently 3rd on the team for both individual scoring chances for (iSCF) and individual high-danger scoring chances for (iHDCF) with 37 and 12 respectively.
📈 Seth Jarvis (C/RW), CAR | Rostered: 12% (Yahoo) | GP: 4 (@SJS, @SEA, @PHI, Vs.WSH) | Line: 1 (w/ Aho & Svechnikov, PP2)
- Seth Jarvis is not going anywhere! So far he has been cemented on the top line with Sebastian Aho and Andrei Svechnikov (nearly 60% of his TOI); posting 5 points (4 goals) in 9 GP and has goals in 3 straight games. With 4 games in the schedule for next week, Jarvis could be a great streaming option; and definitely carries more value in keeper and dynasty formats. Possession metrics for that line to date: 56 CF%, 71.43 GF%, 60.66 SCF%, 63.33 HDCF%.
📈 Kaapo Kakko (RW), NYR | Rostered: 11% (Yahoo) | GP: 3 (@NYI, @BOS, Vs.NYI) | Line: 1 (w/ Panarin & Strome, PP2)
- Are we finally witnessing the break-out of the 2019 2nd overall pick!? Kakko has 5 points (3 G) in his last 4 games played, and has been averaging just over 18 minutes of ice time playing alongside Ryan Strome and Artemi Panarin. PPTOI is scarce and SOG leaves a lot to be desired (1.4 SOG/GM), but with his overall TOI and an elite linemate in Panarin, he should be worth a look for next week. For the line collectively: 52.80 CF%, 70 GF%, 52.32 SCF%.
📈 Kevin Hayes (C), PHI | Rostered: 9% (Yahoo) | GP: 4 (@TB, @FLA, Vs.CAR, @NJD) | Line: 1 (w/ Farabee & Atkinson, PP2)
- Hayes is once again listed as “Out” after making 2 appearances in which he posted 1 G, 1 A, 6 SOG, 2:30 PPTOI, and 14:51 TOI. Hayes has great linemates in Farabee and Atkinson, so he should be productive when he does play. UPDATE: Hayes is now week-to-week. Stash on IR if you have room, or add to your watch list for later.
📈 Ryan Hartman (C), MIN | Rostered: 54% (Yahoo) | GP: 3 (@NJD, Vs.WPG, Vs.TB) | Line: 1 (w/ Fiala & Zuccarello, PP2)
- Hartman is currently on-pace for a career-high 59 points, and has produced 11 Pts (7 G) in his last 12 GP. In Sunday’s game against TB, Hartman’s line with Fiala and Zuccarello had a CF% of 81.82, 83.33 SCF%, and 100.00 HDCF%, although in a small sample size. Shooting volume is much higher than expected at 3.4 SOG/GM and some of the other advanced analytics suggest we’ll see a slow-down in production; but his deployment should not change, so enjoy the points while you can!
📈 Cole Sillinger (C), CBJ | Rostered: 4% (Yahoo) | GP: 4 (@BUF, Vs.WPG, Vs.VAN, @STL) | Line: 1 (w/ Vorachek & Chinakhov, PP1)
- Particularly valuable in keeper/dynasty formats, Cole Sillinger has been great for Columbus so far with 8 Pts (4 G) in 16 GP. 6 points have come over his last 7 games played though. Through 15 games, Sillinger is 3rd on the team with 43 individual scoring chances for (iSCF) and 2nd with 20 individual high-danger scoring chances for (iHDCF). Playing alongside Voracek at even-strength and on PP1 will also help his production. Plays 4 games this week, two contests against poor defensive teams in Buffalo (9th in GA/GP at 3.18) and Vancouver (8th in GA/GP at 3.21).
📈 Jacob Trouba (D), NYR | Rostered: 63% (Yahoo) | GP: 3 (@NYI, @BOS, Vs.NYI) | Pair: 1 (w/ Miller, PP2)
- If you play in a bangers league that includes PIMS, then give the former Jet consideration for next week. Trouba has picked up his offence of late with 5 Pts (2 G) in his last 6 GP, while averaging 2.6 Hits/GM, 2.7 SOG/GM, and 2.0 BLKs/GM. Trouba is also on-pace for ~110 PIMs through 18 games this season. Great add in deep leagues.
📈 Shayne Gostisbehere (D), ARI | Rostered: 44% (Yahoo) | GP: 2 (Vs.EDM, Vs.DAL) | Pair: 1 (w/ Mayo, PP1)
- With 13 Pts (2 G) in 18 GP, Gostisbehere is on-pace for 59 points, his highest season total since 2017-2018. Shockingly, his +/- is currently just -1 and he is playing nearly 21 minutes per game. Also, his SH% (5.6%) is actually below his 3-year average of 8.2%, so we could see him potentially convert on a few more shots as well. The former Flyer is also manning PP1 (just recently with Chychrun), something not many expected at the start of the year.
📈 Noah Dobson (D), NYI | Rostered: 10% (Yahoo) | GP: (Vs.NYR, Vs.PIT, @NYR) | Pair: 1 (w/ Greene, PP2)
- The Islanders were already moving towards Noah Dobson as their bona fide #1 defenceman, and now Ryan Pulock is on the shelf for up to 6 weeks. This should provide ample opportunity for the Islanders to see what they have in Noah Dobson as a power play quarterback and top defenceman.
📈 Evan Bouchard (D), EDM | Rostered: 35% (Yahoo) | GP: 3 (@DAL, @ARI, @VGK) | Pair: 1 (w/ Keith, PP2)
- With Darnell Nurse being placed on IR this week, Evan Bouchard should be leaned on a bit more over the next few weeks. We expect that PP time that typically would have been given to Nurse will be passed along to the Oilers young defenceman. It’s a fluid situation, so keep an eye on lineup placement early next week. Bouchard has 10 Pts (2 G) in 17 games played this season, but is capable of much more with an expanded role 5v5 and possibly on the PP.
📈 Jake Oettinger (G), DAL | Rostered: 22% (Yahoo) | GP: 3 (Vs.EDM, Vs.COL, @ARI) | Role: Backup (7% Net Share)
- Jake Oettinger has only started one game this season (against DET), but in that start he posted a 2.00 GAA and .930 SV%. Oettinger is the goalie of the future for Dallas, and given the play of both Khudobin and Holtby this season, the argument could be made that he should be the goalie of right now as well. However, given the cap situation in Dallas, it’s likely that Oettinger gets sent down when Holtby is healthy. Monitor the situation closely.
📈 Stuart Skinner (G), EDM | Rostered: 20% (Yahoo) | GP: 3 (@DAL, @ARI, @VGK) | Role: Tandem (25% Net Share)
- Skinner showed promise in his first 2 starts and 1 relief appearance this season, but it was Thursday’s 45-save performance (1.72 GSAx) against the Winnipeg Jets that had Edmonton Oilers fans excited. Skinner was brilliant all the way through the shootout, and has Oil fans dreaming of a potential goalie for now and the future. This season the Edmonton product has posted a record of 1-2-0 along with a 2.10 GAA and .940 SV%. With Mike Smith on LTIR, and Mikko Koskinen posting poor numbers over his last 4 starts (4.31 GAA, .866 SV%, -5.66 GSAA); expect Skinner to see more time in the crease.
📈 Dustin Tokarski (G), BUF | Rostered: 7% (Yahoo) | GP: 4 (CBJ, BOS, MTL, @DET) | Role: Tandem (56% Net Share)
- Prior to a 5-0 loss to the Calgary Flames this week, Tokarski had posted surprisingly good numbers this season with a 3-3-2 record, 2.71 GAA and .920 SV%. Likely a deep league play, or spot start against weaker competition; but he has shown to be competent at times this year.
ALSO: Tuukka Rask (10%), James Reimer (39%)/Adin Hill (27%), Alex Nedeljkovic (54%)/Thomas Greiss (15%).
Shop Now | NHLShop.ca
The Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast is a proud partner of NHLShop.ca! For all your officially licensed NHL merchandise, follow the links in our show notes, or on our website. From jerseys and hats, to socks, clocks, and more, NHLShop.ca is the best source for NHL apparel and merchandise. Visit the store today to see current promotions and offers. Terms and conditions apply.
Full disclosure, Fantasy Hockey Hacks may receive a small commission for your purchase, which helps us to continue providing original content.
2021 How To Win Your Fantasy Hockey League Series
- August 8th (Ep. 19) – Guide To Wingers
- August 12th (Ep. 20) – Guide To Centers
- August 19th (Ep. 21) – Guide To Defencemen
- August 29th (Ep. 22) – Guide To Goalies & Zero G Draft Strategy
- September 7th (Ep. 23) – 2021 Fantasy Hockey Guide & The Perfect Draft
BONUS: Dom Luszczyszyn’s (The Athletic) Fantasy Hockey Rankings & Cheat Sheet