NHL Fantasy Preview – Week 2 Feat. Mike McLaughlin (Left Wing Lock)
Episode 84 of the Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast! The first week of the regular season is behind us, and there is no shortage of topics to discuss. Mike McLaughlin (Left Wing Lock) joins us to discuss. As we do each week, we’ll check in on John’s list, “hack” our way through the NHL’s Headlines, go through the week’s schedule, make recommendations for waiver wire adds, and discuss our weekly Top 200 Rankings – Powered By Left Wing Lock.
Subscribe to our podcast on all major directories; and stay up to date with the latest in fantasy hockey news and fantasy hockey advice. Be sure to visit LeftWingLock.com, the best source for fantasy hockey intelligence; and The Hockey Podcast Network for more great hockey-related content.
- Enter to win a Hacks Holiday in Vegas!
- Patrik Laine is out 4 weeks
- Matt Murray on LTIR, Ilya Samsonov a must-add
- Martin Necas is off to a hot start
- Mason Marchment making a big impact in Big D
- Brandon Montour getting significant time on PP1
- Travis Konecney a must-add
- Jake Allen off to an impressive start for Montreal
Stay In Touch
Twitter | @FHHacks
Instagram | @FantasyHockeyHacks
YouTube | Fantasy Hockey Hacks
FHH Website | FantasyHockeyHacks.com
Fantasy Hockey Questions? Email us at FantasyHockeyHacks@Gmail.com
Trusted Partners & Brands
The Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast is the official podcast of Left Wing Lock, and an affiliate partner of the entities mentioned below. Full Disclosure: the links used below are affiliate links, and the Fantasy Hockey Hacks podcast may receive a small commission (at no expense to you) for your purchase. If you are a listener of the podcast, and would like to show your support, please consider making your purchases via these links.
Left Wing Lock | #1 Source For Fantasy Hockey Intelligence – starting goalies, line combinations, statistics, and much more!
Lucky Bastard Distillers | Use Promo Code “HockeyHacks” for 15% OFF your next order. Shipping throughout Canada!
Pro Hockey Life | The Ultimate Hockey Mega-Store! Apparel, hockey equipment, street hockey equipment, training, fitness, in-store services, and much more.
NHLShop.ca | 2022 Stanley Cup Champions – Colorado Avalanche! Get Championship Gear Here
Draft Kings | Use Promo Code THPN for current offers and promotions
Amazon.ca | Sign-up for a FREE 30-Day Trial of Amazon Prime; and get 21% OFF a 4K Fire Stick to stream Prime Video!
Lids Canada & US | FREE shipping on US orders over $24 – Promo Code: LIDS24
EcoHotels.com | One Booking = One tree. Let’s plant a forest!
This Episode Is Brought To You By: Lucky Bastard Distillers
The Fantasy Hockey Hacks are a proud partner of Lucky Bastard Distillers!
Opened in 2012 and inspired from a lottery win Lucky Bastard Distillers is proud to be the first Distillery to operate in Saskatoon since Prohibition. Home of Canada’s Ultimate Caesar, mix your drink tonight with Lucky Bastard. Use Promo Code “HOCKEYHACKS” to get 15% off your next online order, shipping available across Canada!
If you have been listening to our podcast for a while, you’ve undoubtedly heard about “John’s List”; which is basically John’s $h!t list of players past and present. If you have any suggestions for players/subjects we should add to the list, let us know!
The NHL – BOA Schedule, Digital Arena Boards…
Fantasy Lock Of The Week (October 11-17, 2022) | Presented by Left Wing Lock
🔥Sidney Crosby, C, 100% Rostered (Yahoo)
6 Points (2 Goals), 3 PPP, 9 SOG, +3, 45% FOW, 68% PP Share, 18:50 ATOI in 2 games during week 1.
Headlines W/ The Hacks | October 11 – 17, 2022
The 2021-2022 regular season has wrapped, but if you’re planning to defend your fantasy hockey championship next season be sure to get your draft kit from our partner, Left Wing Lock – Available NOW! We’re giving away a few of these draft kits, starting this week – so be sure to follow us on Twitter (@FHHacks) or Instagram (@FantasyHockeyHacks) to win!
News This Week
- The Buffalo Sabres have signed defenseman Mattias Samuelson to a 7 year $30 million dollar extension. Not bad for a guy who has only played 54 regular season NHL games.
- Speaking of Buffalo, they also signed head coach Don Granato to a multi-year contract extension.
- The Philadelphia Flyers have signed defenseman Travis Sanhiem to an eight year extension with an AAV of $6.25 million per season
- Patrick Laine of the Columbus Blue Jackets is out for the next 3-4 weeks with a elbow sprain
- Matt Murray of the Toronto Maple Leafs has suffered a groin injury an has been placed on LTIR, he will miss the next 24 days or 10 games
Edge Work | NHL Schedule, Week 2
The segment where we put in the work to give you the EDGE in your fantasy hockey leagues!
Need To Know:
The NHL really picks up in week 2 with a total of 53 games on the schedule. There are 3 “light days” (50% or fewer NHL teams in action) with Wednesday (3) and Friday (3) being particularly quiet; though there are games played every day. Thursday and Saturday will be packed with 12 and 13 games on the slate, respectively.
In terms of optimizing the schedule, Florida, Philadelphia, and Seattle all play 4 games next week, with 3 of those games taking place on “light days”. The Panthers appear to have the best schedule on paper, and it’s certainly worth exploring available players from that roster, including: Carter Verhaeghe (47%), Anton Lundell (47%) and Brandon Montour (14%).
Chicago and St.Louis play just 2 games next week, so avoid on the waiver wire where possible. Philadelphia is the only team to play back-to-back twice; Anaheim, Los Angeles, and San Jose play all 4 of their games on the road.
- Monday – 9 Games
- Tuesday – 8 Games
- Wednesday – 3 Games
- Thursday – 12 Games
- Friday – 3 Games
- Saturday – 13 Games
- Sunday – 5 Games
Edge Work | Waiver Wire Targets, NHL Week 2
Waiver wire targets will be focused on players with ownership ~50% or less. SOS = Strength of Schedule, according to Left Wing Lock. Lower number = Easier Schedule, Higher Number = Harder Schedule.
Top Waiver Wire Targets
🎯 Martin Necas (RW), CAR | Rostered: 9% (Yahoo) | GP: 3 (@SEA, @EDM, @CGY, TBD SOS) | Line: 2 (w/ Svechnikov & Kotkaniemi, PP2)
- Martin Necas finished the pre-season with 6 points (3 goals) in 3 games, then followed that up with 3 points (1 goal) in the Hurricane’s season opener against Columbus on Wednesday. After playing at a 63-point pace in 2020-2021, Necas managed just 40 points in 78 games last season. It’s early, but look for the 23-year old to bounce-back this season in Carolina’s top 6 and second power play unit. Note: Necas’ iSH% was 8.8% last season, his career average is 12.5%.
🎯 David Krejci (C), BOS | Rostered: 16% (Yahoo) | GP: 4 (Vs.FLA, @OTT, Vs.ANA, Vs.MIN, TBD SOS) | Line: 2 (w/ Zacha & Pastrnak, PP1)
- David Krejci has picked up right where he left off, posting a goal and 2 assists in the Bruins season opener against Washington. Krejci centered Pastrnak and Zacha, and found himself on the top power play unit (2:53 PPTOI, 60% PP Share). Shot volume and category coverage has always left Fantasy managers wanting more, but with his current deployment and 4-game schedule for next week, the 36-year old is a must-add!
🎯 Andre Burakovsky (LW/RW), SEA | Rostered: 34% (Yahoo) | GP: 4 (Vs.CAR, vs.STL, @COL, @CHI, TBD SOS) | Line: 2 (w/ Beniers & Eberle, PP2)
- Andre Burakovsky posted career-highs in goals (22) and points (61) last season, and should see a bigger role in Seattle’s top 6 and top power play. The former AAV has been largely playing even-strength minutes with Jared McCann and Matt Beniers.Seattle plays 4 games next week, 3 of them taking place on light days – big schedule advantage. ALSO: Matty Beniers (49%, 1 G, 2 A, 6 SOG in 2 GP), Jaden Schwartz (3%, 1 G, 1 A, 8 SOG in 2 GP).
🎯 Artturi Lehkonen (LW/RW), COL | Rostered: 63% (Yahoo) | GP: 4 (@MIN, Vs.WPG, Vs.SEA, @VGK, TBD SOS) | Line: 1 (w/ MacKinnon & Rantanen, PP1)
- It appears some of Lehkonen’s momentum/confidence from the playoffs carried into this season. Playing at even-strength with Nathan MacKinnon and Mikko Rantanen (and PP1) probably doesn’t hurt either. Scored 2 goals, 1 assist in the first game of the season, while playing 5:53 PPTOI and 19:18 TOI overall.
🎯 Mason Marchment (LW/RW), DAL | Rostered: 20% (Yahoo) | GP: 3 (Vs.WPG, @TOR, @MTL, TBD SOS) | Line: 2 (w/ Seguin & Dellandria, PP2)
- It has been an ideal start for Mason Marchment with his new club, posting 3 goals, 8 SOG, 4 Hits, 2:05 on the PP and 14:55 TOI. Playing mostly with Tyler Seguin and Ty Dellandrea, Marchment is a valuable add in banger leagues!
🎯 Travis Konecney (LW/RW), PHI | Rostered: 23% (Yahoo) | GP: 4 (@TB, @FLA, @NSH, Vs.SJS, TBD SOS) | Line: 1 (w/ Laughton & Hayes, PP1)
- The 25-year old was on-pace for 76 Pts in 2019-2020, but has not been able to get back to that level since. Konecney is off to a great start with 4 points (3 goals) in his first two games, while averaging 59% PP Share and 19:21 ATOI.
🎯 K’Andre Miller (D), NYR | Rostered: 42% (Yahoo) | GP: 3 (Vs.ANA, Vs.SJS, Vs.CBJ TBD SOS) | Pair: 2 (w/ Trouba, PP2)
- K’Andre Miller’s shares have risen steadily throughout the first week of the season. Through 2 games, the 22-year old has posted 2 assists, but more impressive is his category coverage (5 SOG, 7 Hits, 2 BLKs, +5, 2 PIMS) and deployment (22:16 ATOI). Playing on the second pairing with Captain Jacob Trouba provides nice exposure to the Rangers top 6, and time on the 2nd PP unit is a bonus.
🎯 Justin Schultz (D), SEA | Rostered: 4% (Yahoo) | GP: 4 (Vs.CAR, vs.STL, @COL, @CHI, TBD SOS) | Pair: 2 (w/ Oleksiak, PP1)
- Many believed (myself included) that Vince Dunn would get first crack at PP1, but through 3 games anyway, it appears to be Justin Schultz’s position to lose. The Kraken play 4 games next week, 3 of them on light days, and no back-to-backs. Schultz has posted 3 points (1 G) and 6 shots on goal through the team’s first 3 games.
🎯 Brandon Montour (D), FLA | Rostered: 14% (Yahoo) | GP: 4 (@BOS, Vs.PHI, Vs.TB, Vs.NYI, TBD SOS) | Pair: 2 (w/ Staal, PP1)
- Brandon Montour is playing on the second pairing with Marc Staal, providing exposure to Florida’s top 6; he’s also been given time on the top power play unit w/ Aaron Ekblad! In the first two games of the season, Montour played just shy of 23 and a half total minutes, and saw just over 7 minutes per game with the man advantage! Montour scored a power play goal on Saturday, the shot volume has been good, he chips in on some peripheral categories, and the deployment is prime. Florida plays 4 games next week, 3 of which take place on light days. Montour should be a fantasy target for next week, and possibly beyond.
🎯 Linus Ullmark (G), BOS | Rostered: 56% (Yahoo) | GP: 4 (Vs.FLA, @OTT, Vs.ANA, Vs.MIN, TBD SOS) | Role: Tandem (TBD Net Share)
- Surprisingly, it was Linus Ullmark, not Jeremy Swayman that started in the Bruins season-opener. Boston’s netminder did not disappoint, stopping 33 of 35 shots faced against Washington – 2.00 GAA, .943 SV%, 0.92 GSAx. Expect Jeremy Swayman to get the next start, but keep a close eye on the situation. Also of interest, Ullmark has posted just 5 really bad starts (RBS, games with a SV% below .850) since 2019-2020.
🎯 Craig Anderson (G), BUF | Rostered: 7% (Yahoo) | GP: 3 (@EDM, @CGY, @VAN, TBD SOS) | Role: Tandem (TBD Net Share)
- At 41-years old, Craig Anderson apparently still has some gas left in the tank. Not many options in Buffalo, and the team is improving. Anderson may be a serviceable 3rd goalie or streamer. In his first game of the season against Ottawa, the former Senator made 35 Saves, posting a 1.00 GAA, .972 SV%, and 1.43 GSAx. Buffalo plays three games on the road next week, 1 on a light day with no back-to-backs.
🎯 Jake Allen (G), MTL | Rostered: 26% (Yahoo) | GP: 3 (Vs.PIT, Vs.ARI, Vs.DAL, TBD SOS) | Role: Starter (TBD Net Share)
- With Carey Price on the shelf indefinitely (likely permanently), Jake Allen has really stepped up. Through the first two games of the season, Allen has posted a 1-1-0 record to go along with a 2.04 GAA, .943 SV% and 3.00 GSAx. The Habs play 3 home games next week, with no back-to-backs; so it’s possible the Montreal netminder plays all 3 contests.
Also Consider: Dylan Strome (26%), Arthur Kaliyev (12%), Vital Kravtsov (3%), Shane Wright (19%), Anders Lee (29%), Jonathan Toews (6%), Jeff Carter (6%), Pavel Zacha (5%), Kevin Hayes (3%), Jaden Schwartz (5%), Alex Iafallo (4%), TJ Oshie (35%), Reilly Smith (13%), Matty Beniers (50%), Mason McTavish (30%), Cole Perfetti (20%), Ross Colton (5%), Corey Perry (2%), Matt Dumba (44%), Matthias Ekholm (16%), Jacob Slavin (63%), Spencer Knight (84%), Calvin Petersen (16%), Vitek Vanecek (43%), Connor Ingram (0%), Martin Jones (2%)
Edge Work | Weekly Rankings (Powered By Left Wing Lock) | Coming Soon
New to Edge Work this season, the Hacks will provide weekly player rankings, powered by our partner, Left Wing Lock! The full weekly rankings list can be accessed here; and each episode we’ll work our way through the risers and fallers in fantasy.
📈 William Nylander (LW/RW), TOR
- Up 10 spots, based on production.
📈 Travis Konecney (LW/RW), PHI
- Up 27 spots. Combination of PP1, Top line, easier quality competition and offensive zone starts.
📈 Vincent Trocheck (C), NYR
- Up 14 spots. Usage/deployment is key.
📉 Andrei Svechnikov (LW), CAR
- Down 18 spots.
📉 Patrik Laine (LW), CAR
- Down approximately 20 spots. Mostly injury-induced.
📉 Alex Pietrangelo (D), VGK
- Down 30 spots in week 1. Off PP1.
📉 Jonathan Marchessault (LW/RW), VGK
- PP and even-strength deployment, down 20 spots.
Contest Announcement | Hacks Holiday!
Help the Hacks celebrate 100 episodes of fantasy fun! We truly appreciate all the support we’ve received from listeners, partners, and guests, making this first 100 episodes a genuinely enjoyable experience. All of us on the podcast enjoy creating fantasy hockey content, and will do so for as long as people will listen. To show our appreciation, we are sending one listener and a guest on a “Hacks Holiday” to Las Vegas next February! Thank you to our partners – Lucky Bastard Distillers & Left Wing Lock – for their support in making this contest possible. Winner will receive:
- 2 tickets to a Vegas Golden Knights home game against the Tampa Bay Lightning – Saturday, February 18, 2023
- 2 round-trip tickets to Las Vegas
- 3-night accommodations at a hotel near T-Mobile Arena
- 1 year FREE subscription to the Left Wing Lock iPhone app!
Go to the contest page – FantasyHockeyHacks.com/HacksHoliday – and follow the directions to enter the contest.
“HACK THE CODE” Number For Episode 84: 7
Subscribe To The Fantasy Hockey Hacks Email Newsletter
Get the latest fantasy hockey news, advice, rankings, and content sent directly to your inbox. Stay one step ahead of your competition in your quest for a fantasy hockey championship!
Ask The Hacks
Have fantasy hockey or DFS questions? Send them in and get entered to win a FREE 1-year subscription to the Left Wing Lock iPhone app!
Subscribe To The Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast!