Stanley Cup Final – Avs Dominance, Free Agents Performing & Dobber Hockey Giveaway
Join the Hacks for episode 67 of the Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast! This week we’re discussing the Stanley Cup Final to date, the performances of pending UFAs, and reveal the details of our Dobber Hockey giveaway contest! Find out who makes a repeat appearance on John’s List, our Fantasy Lock Of The Week, and a few Headlines and rumours from around the League!
Subscribe to our podcast on all major directories; and stay up to date with the latest in fantasy hockey news and fantasy hockey advice. Be sure to visit LeftWingLock.com, the best source for fantasy hockey intelligence; and The Hockey Podcast Network for more great hockey-related content.
- A repeat offender on John’s List!
- Valeri Nichushkin impressive, pending UFA this summer
- Is Jesse Puljujarvi comparable to Nichushkin?
- We have a trade! Evgenii Dadonov to the Montreal Canadiens for Shea Weber’s contract
- Can Bruce Cassidy turn around the Golden Knights fortunes?
- John Tortorella takes over behind the bench in Philadelphia
- Nicklas Backstrom undergoes hip resurfacing surgery – career in jeopardy
- Andrei Kuzmenko signs with the Vancouver Canucks
- Pending UFAs performing in the Stanley Cup Final – outlook for next season, possible fantasy hockey implications
- Is Sergei Bobrovsky on is way out of Florida?
Stay In Touch
Left Wing Lock | #1 Source For Fantasy Hockey Intelligence – starting goalies, line combinations, statistics, and much more!
NHLShop.ca | Father’s Day Gift Ideas – Promo Code: NHLFS80
Draft Kings | Use Promo Code THPN for current offers and promotions
Amazon.ca | Sign-up for a FREE 30-Day Trial of Amazon Prime; and get 21% OFF a 4K Fire Stick to stream Prime Video!
If you have been listening to our podcast for a while, you’ve undoubtedly heard about “John’s List”; which is basically John’s $h!t list of players past and present. We’ve decided to make this a regular segment on the podcast and will include it in the blog for fun as well. If you have any suggestions for players we should add to the list, let us know!
Corey Perry – Dudes trash…… More extracurriculars from the NHL vet – putting his knee on JT Compher’s ankle as he was “getting up”…
Fantasy Lock Of The Week (June 13 – 20, 2022) | Presented by Left Wing Lock
🔥Valeri Nichushkin, LW | DK Salary: $6800 | FPPG: 26.50 in Stanley Cup Final
- 4 Pts (3 G), 1 GWG, 11 SOG, 16 iCF (2nd on COL), 11 iSCF (1st), 5 iHDCF (1st), 4 PIMS, 3 Hits, 18:14 TOI!
Honorable Mention: Mikko Rantanen | DK Salary: $9000 | FPPG: 18.4 in Stanley Cup Final
- 5 A, 5 SOG, 8 iCF, 4 iSCF, 1 iHDCF, 2 PIMS, 17:52 TOI
Headlines With The Hacks | June 13 – 20, 2022
The 2021-2022 regular season has wrapped, but if you’re planning to defend your fantasy hockey championship next season be sure to get your draft kit from our partner, Left Wing Lock. Stay tuned for details.
In this segment, the Hacks will discuss the latest during the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and news from around the league.
News This Week
- On Tuesday Bruce Cassidy was hired to be the 3rd coach in Vegas Golden Knights history. It had only been 8 days since he was fired by the Boston Bruins.
- Boston the past 3 seasons: 3.06 GA/GP (14th), 2.65 GF/GP (15th), 52.6 unblocked shot attempts percentage (USAT%, 8th), 81.6% PK (8th), 26.2% PP (3rd), 33.7 Shots/GP (9th)
- Carter Hutton has retired from the NHL. He played in 235 games for 5 different teams, 94 wins and a career GAA of 2.75 and a SV% of.908
- We have a trade to announce! It’s a blockbuster! The Vegas Golden Knights have traded Evgenii Dadonov (i hope they checked his no trade clause this time) to the Montreal Canadiens for Shea Weber’s contract. The trade will give Vegas some much needed cap flexibility and Montreal will get some scoring punch.
- The NHL has set the salary cap for the 22-23 season at $82.5 Million. Up 1 million over last season. The cap floor will be set at $61 million.
- Philadelphia Flyers have hired John Tortorella as their new head coach. As we mentioned last week, this should be good news for Carter Hart as Tort’s teams are hard working, defensively structured teams.
- According to Elliott Friedman, Peter DeBoer will be announced as the new head coach of the Dallas Stars. Over the past two and a half seasons, DeBoer has posted a 98-50-12 record with the Golden Knights.
- Bill Haslam, a former Tennessee governor; has agreed to purchase a minority streak in the Nashville Predators. Through a multi-phased purchase agreement he will slowly become the majority owner.
- Kevin Weekes reported on Sunday that the Edmonton Oilers are closing in on a 3-year agreement to keep Jay Woodcroft as the head coach.
- Nicklas Backstrom underwent “hip resurfacing” surgery this past Friday in Belgium. It will be a long recovery process according to the team.
- Backstrom had hinted previously that he may not be able to return, “the hip will never be 100%”.
- Ryan Kesler underwent the surgery in 2019 and never played in the NHL again.
- Ed Jovanovski had the surgery in 2013, took a full year to recover, only to play 37 more games before deciding to retire!
- According to The Hockey Writers Association, “if Backstrom decides that a return to the NHL isn’t in the cards, he could simply retire, and since his multi-year contract was signed before he turned 35, it will simply come off the books completely and Washington would be free to use that space.” Backstrom would be in year 3 of a 5-year deal that pays him an average annual value of $9.2M!
- Potential Free-Agent Centers: Nazem Kadri, Patrice Bergeron, Claude Giroux, Evgeni Malkin, Vincent Trocheck, Andrew Copp
Stanley Cup Playoffs
TB Vs. COL (COL LEADS 2-1)
- Andre Burakovsky plays the hero on Wednesday night, scoring the game-winner just 1:23 into OT. Burakovsky played just 12:01 TOI (3 SOG, 5 iCF, 4 iSCF).
- Landeskog (1 G, 1 A, 2 SOG, 23:01 TOI), Rantanen (2 A, 2 SOG, 19:16 TOI), and Nichushkin (1 G, 1 A, 6 SOG, 11 iCF, 6 iSCF, 2 iHDCF, 19:01 TOI) each had 2 points for the Avs.
- Darcy Kuemper – 20 Saves, 2.93 GAA, .870 SV%, -1.46 GSAx, -0.95 GSAA
- Ondrej Palat played just 13:15 TOI, but posted 1 G, 3 SOG, 5 iCF, 5 iSCF, 4 iHDCF.
- Nicholas Paul (1 G, 1 SOG, 18:42 TOI) and Mikael Sergachev (1 G, 3 SOG, 21:04 TOI) also scored for the Bolts.
- Andrei Vasilevskiy – 34 Saves, 3.93 GAA, .895 SV%, -0.47 GSAx, -0.62 GSAA
- Once again, Colorado was dominant in terms of possession and shot metrics – 57 CF%, outshot Tampa 38-23 (62.3 SF%), outchanced Tampa 35-20 (63.64 SCF%); nearly a 70 xGF% as well.
- 5v5 goals were even at 3 per team.
- Colorado’s special teams were excellent – 100% PK (3/3), 33.3% PP (1/3)!
- Vasilevskiy once again struggled in the first game of the series, and on the road.
- Goals allowed in game 1s this postseason: 5 (TOR, 5-0 L), 1 (FLA, 4-1 W), 6 (NYR, 6-2 L), 4 (COL, 4-3 L)
- Road record: 5-5, 2.92 GAA, .909 SV%, 1.63 GSAx
- Home record: 7-1, 1.69 GAA, .947 SV%, 8.2 GSAx
- Andre Burakovsky left game 2 with an injury, and did NOT travel with the team to Tampa Bay for game 3.
- Mikko Rantanen led the Avs in points with 3 assists.
- Cale Makar and Valeri Nichushkin both posted 2 goals.
- Darcy Kuemper – 16-Save Shutout, 1.09 GSAx
- Andrei Vasilevskiy has been shockingly bad through two games – 5.45 GAA, .838 SV%, -4.94 GSAx
- Corey Perry led all Tampa skaters in shots (3), iCF (4), 2 iSCF (2), and iHDCF (1); not good enough if you’re Tampa…
- Colorado’s dominance continues 5v5 – 70.69 CF%, outshot TB 20-6 (76.92 SF%), outchanced TB 21-6 (77.78 SCF%), and outscored TB 4-0.
- Colorado’s special teams are crushing Tampa:
- 43% on the PP (3/7)
- 100% on the PK (6/6)
- Valeri Nichushkin is going to get a raise this summer! Pending UFA made $2.5M this past regular season. Set career-highs in points (52) and goals (25) in 62 games played. 82-game pace of 69 points. NICE!
- Nathan MacKinnon has been held to just 2 points and no goals through 2 games.
- Ondrej Palat (UFA) – Top 10 in playoff scoring with 17 points and 9 goals. All 9 of Palat’s goals have come at even-strength; and only Connor McDavid (24 Pts) and Leon Draisaitl (22 Pts) have more even-strength points than Ondrej Palat (16 Pts)! 15th in even-strength individual scoring chances for (iSCF) with 38.
- Valeri Nichushkin (UFA) – 4 Pts (3 G) in 2 games of the Stanley Cup Final.
- Mikko Rantanen – Currently leads all Avs skaters with 5 points.
- Darcy Kuemper (UFA) – 36 Saves, 1.48 GAA, .923 SV%, -0.20 GSAx.
- Nic Paul (UFA) – 2 G
- Nazem Kadri (UFA) – N/A
- Andre Burakovsky (UFA) – 3 Pts (2 G)
- Artturi Lehkonen (RFA) – 1 G
- Valeri Nichushkin has been a real x-factor for the Avalanche. According to Elliott Friedman, Colorado has informed Nichushkin that other than a MacKinnon extension, he is their offseason priority. Do you think he re-signs? Where are you drafting him in fantasy next year?
- Based on an assumed top 6 role with the Canucks, where are you taking Andrei Kuzmenko in fantasy hockey drafts?
- After two games in the Stanley Cup Final, who is your pick for the Conn Smythe award?
- Cale Makar | -200
- Nathan MacKinnon | +350
- Mikko Rantanen | +750
- Nikita Kucherov | +1100
- Andrei Vasilevskiy | +1100
- Valeri Nichushkin | +2000
- There are rumours floating around that the Panthers are aggressively shopping Sergei Bobrovsky, and even willing to retain 50% of his contract… If you’re the Edmonton Oilers, are you interested?
Ask The Hacks
Have fantasy hockey or DFS questions? Send them in and get entered to win a FREE 1-year subscription to the Left Wing Lock iPhone app!
Shop Now | Amazon.ca
This episode of the Fantasy Hockey Hacks podcast is brought to you in part by Amazon.ca.
New Amazon Music Unlimited subscribers will receive access to 6 months of Disney+! Users that sign up for an Amazon Music Unlimited subscription, starting at $7.99 per month for Prime members ($9.99 for non-Prime), will have access to Disney+ for 6 months. Renews automatically. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply.
The Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast is an affiliate partner of Amazon.ca! As an affiliate, the Hacks will bring you the latest deals and promotions from the world’s largest online retailer. If you enjoy and appreciate the podcast, blog, or other forms of content, please support us by using our affiliate link (title above, banner below) before making your purchases on Amazon. There are no hidden fees or additional costs to you, just a simple, FREE way to show your support. Thank you!
The Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast – Available On All Podcast Directories
As a member of The Hockey Podcast Network (THPN), the Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast is a proud partner of DraftKings!
Hockey fans, the pursuit for the Stanley Cup is on and DraftKings Sportsbook — an Official Sports Betting Partner of the NHL — has an unbelievable offer for the most exciting playoffs in sports. New customers can bet FIVE DOLLARS on any team to win and get ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS IN FREE BETS no matter what — win or lose!
Looking to turn a small bet into a BIG pay day during playoffs? With DraftKings SAME GAME PARLAYS, you can do just that! Create your own parlay by combining multiple bets like which team will win, how many goals will be scored, and more! It’s your shot at an even BIGGER PAYOUT!
DraftKings is safe, secure, and reliable. Best of all, you can deposit and withdraw your cash whenever you want.
Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app NOW, use promo code THPN, bet FIVE DOLLARS on any NHL team to win, and get ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS IN FREE BETS no matter what! That’s code THPN at DraftKings Sportsbook — An Official Sports Betting Partner of the NHL. Minimum age and eligibility restrictions apply. See show notes for details.
If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL/IN/MI/NJ/PA/WV/WY), 1-800-NEXT STEP (AZ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO/NH), 888-789-7777/visit http://ccpg.org/chat (CT), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-877-770-STOP (7867) (LA), 877-8-HOPENY/text HOPENY (467369) (NY), visit OPGR.org (OR), call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN), or 1-888-532-3500 (VA).
21+ (18+ WY). Physically present in AZ/CO/CT/IL/IN/IA/LA/MI/ /NJ/NY/ PA/TN/VA/WV/WY only. Min. $5 deposit required. Eligibility restrictions apply. See http://draftkings.com/sportsbook for details.