Stanley Cup Playoffs – Discussion & Headlines. Successful Season For Edmonton?
In the 65th episode of the Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast, the Hacks discuss the latest from the Stanley Cup Playoffs Conference Finals, headlines from the past week, DFS plays and more – John’s List & Fantasy Lock Of The Week, Headlines & Hot Streaks With The Hacks.
Subscribe to our podcast on all major directories; and stay up to date with the latest in fantasy hockey news and fantasy hockey advice. Be sure to visit LeftWingLock.com, the best source for fantasy hockey intelligence; and The Hockey Podcast Network for more great hockey-related content.
- Martin St. Louis officially the new bench boss in Montreal
- Frederick Andersen had a torn MCL, was nearing a return
- Darryl Sutter takes home the Jack Adams Award
- Patrice Bergeron wins a record 5th Selke Trophy
- Colorado sweeps the Oilers
- Kane, Keith, Smith, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto – Who returns next season?
- Sportsnet and The Score make John’s List
Stay In Touch
Twitter | @FHHacks
Instagram | @FantasyHockeyHacks
Facebook | Facebook.com/FantasyHockeyHacks
FHH Website | FantasyHockeyHacks.com
Fantasy Hockey Questions? Email us at FantasyHockeyHacks@Gmail.com
Left Wing Lock | #1 Source For Fantasy Hockey Intelligence – starting goalies, line combinations, statistics, and much more!
NHLShop.ca | Up To 50% OFF Select Apparel, FREE Shipping On Orders Over $99
Draft Kings | Use Promo Code THPN for current offers and promotions
Amazon.ca | Sign-up for a FREE 30-Day Trial of Amazon Prime; and get 21% OFF a 4K Fire Stick to stream Prime Video!
If you have been listening to our podcast for a while, you’ve undoubtedly heard about “John’s List”; which is basically John’s $h!t list of players past and present. We’ve decided to make this a regular segment on the podcast and will include it in the blog for fun as well. If you have any suggestions for players we should add to the list, let us know!
Sportsnet and The Score
Both companies were blasted online following their trolling of the Edmonton Oilers. David Staples from the Edmonton Journal provides a nice break down (below); including screen shots of the now deleted posts. FULL STORY HERE.
Fantasy Lock Of The Week (May 23 – June 7, 2022) | Presented by Left Wing Lock
🔥Mika Zibanejad, C | DK Salary: $10000 | FPPG: 12.4 (17.9 last 11 GP)
- Tied with teammate Adam Fox for the scoring lead this week: 6 Pts, 2 G (1 GWG), +5, 11 SOG, 66% PP share, 18:34 TOI.
- On Friday (GM2) Zibanejad extended his franchise playoff record home goal streak to six games (6-4—10). Only 3 players in NHL history have recorded a longer such run in a playoff year: Guy Lafleur (8 GP in 1979), Paul Coffey (7 GP in 1985) and Reggie Leach (7 GP in 1976).
HONORABLE MENTION: Igor Shesterkin | DK Salary: $10600 | FPPG: 18.9 (23.14 last 10 GP)
- This week: 3-0, 2.00 GAA, .945 SV%, 5.72 GSAx.
- 2.60 GAA, .929 SV%, 19.93 GSAx overall in these playoffs.
- Shesterkin extended his franchise playoff record home winning streak to 8 games, the longest in the NHL since 2013 (Jonathan Quick: 8-0). Shesterkin now sits behind only five longer such runs in League history, achieved by four different netminders: Grant Fuhr (11 GP in 1988 & 10 GP
Headlines & Hot Streaks With The Hacks | May 23-30, 2022
The 2021-2022 regular season has wrapped, but if you’re planning to defend your fantasy hockey championship next season be sure to get your draft kit from our partner, Left Wing Lock. Stay tuned for details.
In this segment, the Hacks will discuss the latest during the Stanley Cup Playoffs, headlines from each series, which players are performing, and which plays we like in DFS.
News This Week
- In his end of season media availability Jordan Binnington admits to throwing a water bottle at Nazem Kadri during a post game interview. Yes, news is really slow this week.
- The Montreal Canadiens have removed the interim tag from Marty St Louis. He has signed a 3 year contract extension to remain the coach of the Habs.
- in non fantasy news. Gatorade announced Wednesday it will not be renewing its contract with the NHL, They will now focus on Women and College sports.
- We now know Freddy Anderson’s injury that kept him out of the playoffs. He had a MCL tear. He was close to being able to return when the Hurricanes bowed out of the playoffs.
- Anze Kopitar of the LA Kings has won the Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award. The award goes to the player who exemplifies great leadership on and off the ice.
- On Thursday the NHL announced that Darryl Sutter has won the Jack Adam’s trophy for coach of the year.
- More injury news from the Bruins. Charlie MacAvoy will miss the next 6 months after left shoulder surgery, Matt Grzelcyk will miss 5 months after right shoulder surgery. Mike Riley had surgery to repair his right ankle, he will be ready for training camp.
- On Friday the NHL announced that Carey Price has won the Masterton Trophy for Perseverance. Price returned to action this season after having knee surgery and entering the NHL Player assistance program for substance abuse.
- On Saturday the NHL announced Patrice Bergeron has won the Selke Trophy for the top defensive forward for a record breaking 5th time.
- Bergeron also had surgery on a tendon in his elbow. He will be out 10-12 weeks.
- Chris Wideman signed a 2 year contract extension with the Montreal Canadiens on Monday worth $1.4 million dollars.
- The NHL announced Monday that Kyle Connor has won the Lady Byng trophy for showing sportsmanship and high level of play
- The Boston Bruins have relieved Bruce Cassidy of his coaching duties after 6 seasons. The Bruins made the playoffs in all six seasons as coach
- Jack Roslovic signed a 2 year $4 million dollar contract extension with the Columbus Blue Jackets.
- The Dallas Stars have signed Denis Gurianov to a one year deal worth $2.9 million dollars.
- Chris Driedger of the Seattle Kraken will miss the next 7-9 months after having surgery to replace a torn ACL
- PK Subban won the King Clancy Memorial trophy for making noteworthy contributions to his community.
Stanley Cup Playoffs
TB Vs. NYR (NYR Lead Series 2-2) (25:06)
- Shesterkin outplayed Andrei Vasilevskiy
- The Kids (Chytil, Lafrienierre, Kaako) Are Alright
- Zibanejad having a fantastic postseason
- Chris Kreider rounding back into form
- Adam Fox (2 A) and Mika Zibanejad (1 G) now trail only Brian Leetch and Mark Messier on the Rangers’ list for most points in a single postseason after each contributing in the club’s 8th consecutive home win.
- New York snapped Tampa Bay’s run of 17 straight wins following a loss within a playoff year, which dated to 2020 – ending a stretch of 60 consecutive postseason games without back-to-back defeats, the longest in NHL history (previous: 39 GP by MTL from 1976 to 1978).
- The Lightning managed to overcome a 2-1 deficit to win game 3, and get within one game of evening up the Eastern Conference Final.
- It was the game of power play goals – 2 PPG per team until Ondrej Palat scored the GWG with under a minute to go in the 3rd period.
- Shesterkin stood on his head for the Rangers – 49 Saves, 3.03 GAA, .942 SV%.
- Mika Zibanejad ($9600, 12.6 FPPG) – 5 Pts (3 G), 14 SOG, 12 iSCF
- Artemi Panarin ($8000, 11.9 FPPG) – 4 Pts (1 G), 10 SOG, 7 iSCF
- Filip Chytil ($5200, 6.1 FPPG) – 3 Pts (2 G), 8 SOG, 10 iSCF
- Adam Fox ($8400, 12.2 FPPG) – 5 Pts, 4 SOG, 9 iSCF
- Igor Shesterkin ($10600, 19.0 FPPG) – 2-1, 2.34 GAA, .943 SV%, 5.32 GSAx
- Nikita Kucherov ($9800, 15.7 FPPG) – 5 Pts (2 G), 14 SOG, 26 Shot Attempts, 14 iSCF
- Steven Stamkos ($9200, 14.4 FPPG) – 4 Pts (2 G), 15 SOG, 23 Shot Attempts, iSCF
EDM Vs. COL (COL Sweeps 4-0) (33:05)
- Oilers overwhelmed by the speed and forecheck of the Avs
- Cale Makar is unstoppable
- McDavid with another 3-point effort
- Kuemper leaves with upper-body injury
- Smith is pulled in the 2nd period
- The Avs scored 3 goals in just over 2 minutes during the second period…
- Nathan MacKinnon had 1 goal, 11 shots, 12 shot attempts, 8 iSCF, 4 iHDCF, 3 Hits, 20:39 TOI.
- McDavid and Draisaitl were held to a collective 4 SOG, 5 shot attempts, and 1 scoring chance! The team was held to a total of just 7 high-danger scoring chances…
- Mike Smith was better for the Oilers, but clearly not good enough – 3.95 GAA, .893 SV%, -1.25 GSAx.
- Kailer Yamamoto left in the 2nd period with an upper-body injury and did not return. Suspect it was the Landeskog hit? Concussion possibly?
- Connor McDavid scored 38 seconds into the game. With that goal McDavid became one of 8 players in NHL history to record 30 or more points prior to the Stanley Cup Final. The others: Wayne Gretzky (4x; last: 33 in 1993), Doug Gilmour (35 in 1993), Rick Middleton (33 in 1983), Mario Lemieux (32 in 1991), Barry Pederson (32 in 1983), Mark Recchi (31 in 1991) and Messier (31 in 1988).
- Roughly 30-seconds after Connor’s goal, Evander Kane takes a 5-minute boarding penalty. Nazem Kadri left the game and did not return (later found out he’s done for the series).
- Valeri Nichushkin scored twice to give the Avs a 2-1 lead.
- Ryan McLeod tied things up close to the mid-way point of the 3rd.
- Evan Bouchard rings a shot off the post at the end of a PP, JT Compher jumps on the ice and scores the GWG. Compher now has 5 goals in his last 4 games.
- Mike Smith showed up for the Oilers – 39 Saves, 3.08 GAA, .929 SV%, 0.74 GSAx.
- One hell of a hockey game!
- I now hate Nathan MacKinnon – did not like the knee on Hyman, then he scored coming out of the box.🤬
- I also now hate The Score and Sportsnet – classless tweets after the Oilers were swept.
- The penalty on Derek Ryan was a brutal call.
- Connor McDavid (33) and Leon Draisaitl (32) became the 2nd and 3rd players since Evgeni Malkin in 2009 to score 30+ points in a single postseason.
- Connor McDavid had another brilliant performance – 1 G, 2 A, 5 Shots, 9 shot attempts, 5 iSCF, 3 iHDCF
- Leon Draisaitl is an absolute warrior, gutted one out – 4 Primary Assists, 4 SOG, 6 Shot Attempts, 2 iSCF. Draisaitl posted 7 3-point games during this postseason, only Wayne Gretzky had more 3-point games (8 in ‘87-88, 9 in ‘84-85) in his playoff career.
- Zach Hyman! 2 G, 5 SOG, 10 Shot Attempts, 7 iSCF, 3 iHDCF.
- Darnell Nurse played the entire postseason with a torn hip flexor! 👏👏👏
- Mike Smith needed to be better in this one – 36 Saves, 5.87 GAA, .857 SV%, -2.32 GSAx.
- Cale Makar became the 3rd fastest defenceman to record 50 career playoff points. Phenomenal performance from him – 1 G, 4 A, 4 SOG, 6 Shot Attempts, 2 iSCF.
- Artturi Lehkonen was the OT Hero, had a great game overall – 1 G, 2 A, 6 SOG, 6 Shot Attempts, 5 iSCF, 5 iHDCF.
- Cale Makar ($8800, 15.5 FPPG) – 9 Pts (2 G), 12 Shots, 6 iSCF
- Nathan MacKinnon ($10800, 18.8 FPPG) – 5 Pts (3 G), 27 SOG, 39 SA,26 iCF
- Gabriel Landeskog () – 6 Pts (2 G), 12 iSCF
- Mikko Rantanen () – 6 Pts (4 G), 16 SOG
- Connor McDavid ($10600, 17.9 FPPG) – 7 Pts (3 G), 13 SOG, 22 SA, 13 iSCF
- Leon Draisaitl ($9000, 16.7 FPPG) – 6 Pts, 13 SOG, 19 SA, 7 iSCF
- Zach Hyman ($7800, 11.3 FPPG) – 4 Pts (3 G), 16 SOG, 29 SA, 21 iSCF
- Despite being swept in the Western Conference Final, was this a successful season for the Edmonton Oilers?
- Will Mike Smith retire? Jason Gregor made mention of rumblings…
- Will Duncan Keith retire?
- Does Evander Kane return for the Oilers? If so, where are you drafting him next season?
- Who would be your priority to sign this offseason, Pick two – Kailer Yamamoto, Ryan McLeod, Jesse Puljujarvi.
- Will the Colorado Avalanche win the Stanley Cup? They are now the favourites at -220, followed by the Tampa Bay Lightning at +350, and the New York Rangers at +600.
Ask The Hacks
Have fantasy hockey or DFS questions? Send them in and get entered to win a FREE 1-year subscription to the Left Wing Lock iPhone app!
Shop Now | Amazon.ca
New Amazon Music Unlimited subscribers will receive access to 6 months of Disney+! Users that sign up for an Amazon Music Unlimited subscription, starting at $7.99 per month for Prime members ($9.99 for non-Prime), will have access to Disney+ for 6 months. Renews automatically. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply.
The Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast is a proud partner of Amazon.ca! As an affiliate of Amazon, the Hacks will bring you the latest deals and promotions from the world’s largest online retailer. If you enjoy and appreciate our podcast, blog, or other forms of content, please support us by using our affiliate link (title above, banner below) before making your purchases on Amazon. There are no hidden fees or additional costs to you, just a simple, FREE way to show your support. Thank you!
The Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast – Available On All Podcast Directories
As a member of The Hockey Podcast Network (THPN), the Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast is a proud partner of DraftKings!
Hockey fans, the pursuit for the Stanley Cup is on and DraftKings Sportsbook — an Official Sports Betting Partner of the NHL — has an unbelievable offer for the most exciting playoffs in sports. New customers can bet FIVE DOLLARS on any team to win and get ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS IN FREE BETS no matter what — win or lose!
Looking to turn a small bet into a BIG pay day during playoffs? With DraftKings SAME GAME PARLAYS, you can do just that!Create your own parlay by combining multiple bets like which team will win, how many goals will be scored, and more! It’s your shot at an even BIGGER PAYOUT!
DraftKings is safe, secure, and reliable. Best of all, you can deposit and withdraw your cash whenever you want.
Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app NOW, use promo code THPN, bet FIVE DOLLARS on any NHL team to win, and get ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS IN FREE BETS no matter what! That’s code THPN at DraftKings Sportsbook — An Official Sports Betting Partner of the NHL. Minimum age and eligibility restrictions apply. See show notes for details.
If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL/IN/MI/NJ/PA/WV/WY), 1-800-NEXT STEP (AZ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO/NH), 888-789-7777/visit http://ccpg.org/chat (CT), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-877-770-STOP (7867) (LA), 877-8-HOPENY/text HOPENY (467369) (NY), visit OPGR.org (OR), call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN), or 1-888-532-3500 (VA).
21+ (18+ WY). Physically present in AZ/CO/CT/IL/IN/IA/LA/MI/ /NJ/NY/ PA/TN/VA/WV/WY only. Min. $5 deposit required. Eligibility restrictions apply. See http://draftkings.com/sportsbook for details.