Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 Highlights & Round 2 Preview
In the 62nd episode of the Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast, Bruce, Devon and Tyler review the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, preview the upcoming second round, and much more – John’s List & Fantasy Lock Of The Week, Headlines With The Hacks, round 1 highlights, round 2 preview.
Subscribe to our podcast on all major directories; and stay up to date with the latest in fantasy hockey news and fantasy hockey advice. Be sure to visit LeftWingLock.com, the best source for fantasy hockey intelligence; and The Hockey Podcast Network for more great hockey-related content.
- McDavid goes next level in game 7
- Johnny Gaudreau scores in OT, gives fans the Battle of Alberta
- Jake Oettinger was phenomenal in the opening round
- Crosby suffers another concussion?
- So many game 7s!
- Carter Verhaeghe for Conn Smythe?
- Round 2 series picks
Stay In Touch
Left Wing Lock | #1 Source For Fantasy Hockey Intelligence – starting goalies, line combinations, statistics, and much more!
NHLShop.ca | Up To 50% OFF Select Apparel, FREE Shipping On Orders Over $99
Draft Kings | Use Promo Code THPN for current offers and promotions
Amazon.ca | Sign-up for a FREE 30-Day Trial of Amazon Prime; and get 21% OFF a 4K Fire Stick to stream Prime Video!
If you have been listening to our podcast for a while, you’ve undoubtedly heard about “John’s List”; which is basically John’s $h!t list of players past and present. We’ve decided to make this a regular segment on the podcast and will include it in the blog for fun as well. If you have any suggestions for players we should add to the list, let us know!
Fantasy Lock Of The Week (May 9 – 16, 2022) | Presented by Left Wing Lock
🔥Connor McDavid, C | DK Salary: $8800 | FPPG: 19.97 (Vs.LAK)
14 Points, 4 Goals, 1 GWG, 5 PPP, 11 SOG, +1, 75.5% PP Share, 20:22 ATOI in 4 games played. Playoff scoring leader
DFS On DraftKings
C – Mika Zibanejad | DK Salary: $6600 | FPPG: 17.35
W – Carter Verhaeghe | DK Salary: $4200 | FPPG: 18.90
D – Jacob Slavin | DK Salary: $4500 | FPPG: 12.56
G – Jake Oettinger | DK Salary: $7400 | FPPG: 25.84, 1.82 GAA, .954 SV%, 10.1 GSAx
UTIL – Ryan O’Reilly | DK Salary: $4600 | FPPG: 16.95
Headlines With The Hacks (News & Injuries) | May 9 – 16, 2022
The 2021-2022 regular season has wrapped, but if you’re planning to defend your fantasy hockey championship next season be sure to get your draft kit from our partner, Left Wing Lock. Stay tuned for details.
- The NHL announced its Vezina finalists on Tuesday: Igor Shesterkin (NYR), Jusse Saros (NSH), and Jacob Markstrom (CGY).
- Who is your pick for the Vezina?
- Patrick Marleau announced his retirement after 23 NHL seasons. Marleau tallied 566 goals, 631 assists for 1197 points over 1779 career games. Another Saskatchewan dude making NHL headlines.
- The NHL announced its Calder Finalists on Wednesday: Michael Bunting (John will love this), Trevor Zegras and Moritz Seider (really it’s Seider’s trophy, the NHL is just being nice to the other two)
- The Nashville Predators are the 1st team to be eliminated from the NHL playoffs. As Darryl Sutter said, it was pretty much a waste of 8 days for the Preds. Nashville Predators would also like to welcome their new owner Cale Makar (3G, 7A for 10p in 4 games).
- The Montreal Canadiens won! The Draft Lottery. They will pick 1st overall at the NHL entry draft in July in Montreal.
- Darnell Nurse was suspended for 1 game after head-butting Philip Danault in game 5. Nurse will be available for game 7, if necessary.
- Sidney Crosby was injured in Wednesday’s game 5 against the Rangers. Reports say he is being evaluated for a concussion. The league deemed the hit from Jacob Trouba legal.
- The NHL announced the Hart Trophy nominees for the 2021-2022 season: Connor McDavid (EDM), Auston Matthews (TOR), and Igor Shesterkin (NYR).
- The NHL announced the Ted Lindsay nominees for the 2021-2022 season: Connor McDavid (EDM), Auston Matthews (TOR), and Roman Josi (NSH).
- The Oilers forced game 7 with a 4-2 win in LA. The big story there has to be the health of Leon Draisaitl.
- Connor McDavid is the second player in NHL history to have 6 multi-point games in a single playoff series… the other, Bruins legend Rick “Nifty” Middleton. 14 total points for McDavid in the series, only Wayne Gretzky (18) has more points in a single series in franchise history.
- The St Louis Blues moved on to the 2nd round of the Playoffs with an impressive victory over the Minnesota Wild in Game 6. The Wild chose to go with Cam Talbot in net for game 6 and it did not make a difference.
- Carter Verhaeghe scored his 3rd straight game winning goal, his last one in overtime to send the Florida Panthers to the second round of the playoffs for the first time since 1996 with a hard fought game 6 victory over the Washington Capitals
- Maxi Domi’s 3 point night leads Carolina to a game 7 victory over the Boston Bruins. Will this be the last time we see Patrice Bergeron in a Bruins uniform
- Horror for the Toronto Maple Leafs as they drop another Game 7, this time to the defending Stanley Cup champions the Tampa Bay Lightning. Will there be any major changes coming in Leafland?
- An interesting note from both Hurricanes and Lightning wins. Both teams leading point getters in game 7 were both trade deadline pickups. For Carolina, Max Domi from the Blue Jackets and for Tampa Bay, Nick Paul from the Ottawa Senators.
- Connor McDavid led his Edmonton Oilers to a game 7 victory over the LA Kings. It has to be the most complete game the Oilers have played all season and by far the best game by Connor McDavid. His effort on the Oilers 2nd goal in game 7 was amazing!
- With the loss to the Edmonton Oilers, Game 7 was Dustin Brown’s last game in the NHL. He will now retire as he announced before the playoffs started.
- The “Bread man” delivers: Artemi Pararin with the game 7 winning goal in overtime.Sending the New York Rangers to the 2nd round of the playoffs in defeating the Pittsburgh Penguins. Will this be the last run for the big 3 in Pittsburgh?
- Tristan Jarry returned to the lineup for the Penguins becoming the 1st goaltender in NHL history to debut in a game 7
- The Calgary Flames defeated the Dallas Stars in their game 7 matchup that took them to overtime. What can you say about the “Otter” Jake Ottenger with 64 saves in the loss for the Stars. There is a bright future in Dallas.
- Lane Lambert has been hired to be the next coach of the New York Islanders. It sure did not take Lou long to have a new coach in place
- Peter DeBoer was relieved of his duties as the coach of the Vegas Golden Knights. 2 assistant coaches were let go as well.
- The NHL has released the name of the 3 finalists for the Masterdon Trophy: Zdeno Chara, Kevin Hayes and Carey Price
Rd. 1 Highlights & Rd. 2 Preview
We have a rare day off during the Stanley Cup Playoffs, so during tonight’s episode we are going to talk about some of our favourite highlights from the first round; and provide a brief preview of round 2!
- Checking in on our NHL Bracket Challenge to date
- Devon – 3rd (79 Pts)
- Bruce – 8th (73 Pts)
- FHH Live – Game Picks
- Devon: 62.75%
- Bruce: 50.98%
- Conn Smythe Odds
- Cale Makar (+550)
- Nathan MacKinnon (+550)
- Connor McDavid (+1400)
- Alexander Barkov (+1500)
- Andrei Vasilevskiy (+1600)
ROUND 1 HIGHLIGHTS
PIT vs. NYR (NYR Win 4-3)
- Dominance by the Penguins 5v5 and on special teams.
- Goaltending. Shesterkin was essentially outplayed by Pittsburgh’s 3rd-string option.
- Mika Zibanejad led the way for the Rangers (3rd in scoring) with 11 points and 3 goals through 7 games played.
- Came up big for the Rangers – 7 points and 3 goals in the final 2 games of the series.
- Jake Guentzel, with 8 goals, leads the playoffs in goal-scoring to date.
WSH vs. FLA (FLA Wins 4-2)
- It’s astonishing that the Florida Panthers have yet to score on the PP – 0 for 18
- Carter Verhaeghe 2nd in playoff scoring with 12 points and 6 goals in 6 games played.
- Verhaeghe leads Florida to the 2nd round – gets GWG in OT.
BOS vs. CAR (CAR Wins 4-3)
- Antti Raanta filled-in nicely for Freddie Andersen with a 2.37 GAA and .927 SV%. Jacob Slavin leads all Hurricanes skaters in scoring with 8 points and 2 goals through 7 games.
- Max Domi appears to have been a significant acquisition based on game 7 production – 2 Goals (INCLUDING the series-winning goal), 1 A, 3 SOG in 12:55 TOI.
TB vs. TOR (TB Wins 4-3)
- Matthews, Marner, and the Maple Leafs Misery!
- First team in MLB/NBA/NHL history to lose a “winner take all” game in the opening round for 5 consecutive years.
- Matthews posted 9 points, 4 goals in 7 games
- Marner posted 8 points, 2 goals in 7 games
NSH vs. COL (COL Wins 4-0)
- In just 4 games played, Cale Makar is tied for 4th in playoff scoring with 10 points and 3 goals!
STL vs. MIN (STL Wins 4-2)
- Jordan Binnington takes back the crease in St. Louis – 3-0-0, 1.67 GAA, .943 SV%.
DAL vs. CGY (Wins 4-3)
- Johnny Gaudreau was great for the Flames. 8 points and 2 goals in 7 games (tied for 6th in scoring), including the series-winner in overtime.
LAK vs. EDM (EDM Wins 4-3)
- Connor McDavid ➡️ Best player on the planet. 14 Pts, 4 goals; 6 multi-point games in round 1, just the 2nd player to do so.
- Mike Smith, at age 40, has been very impressive.
- Evander Kane was the best in-season acquisition this year, and it isn’t close. Kane has the 3rd most goals through his first 6 games in the post-season in Oilers History with 7. Only Mark Messier (9) and Wayne Gretzky (8) have more goals through their first 6 playoff games with the franchise.
Round 2 Preview
STL (+290) Vs. COL (-380)
Regular Season H2H: COL Won Season Series 2-1
- Colorado has the number 1 rated power play so far in these playoffs at 43.8%. Not surprising, the Avs have also been scoring at the highest rate – 5.25 GF/GP!
- St. Louis should not be taken lightly though, they have the 4th best power play at 30.8%; and they have been scoring at the 5th best rate, 3.67 GF/GP.
- Darcy Kuemper dealt with an eye injury in the opening round, will he be 100% for round 2?
- The Blues are likely to still be missing Torey Krug when this series starts, but could be available later.
- Colorado is the top team in terms of shot attempts (59.67 CF%) and goals for at 5v5 (66.67 GF%). The Avs also had the best scoring chances for percentage at 62.69%.
- Devon’s Pick: COL
- Bruce’s Pick: COL
EDM (+165) Vs. CGY (-190)
Regular Season H2H: Series Tied 2-2
- Battle of Alberta!
- Connor McDavid currently leads the playoffs with 14 points (4 G)
- Johnny Gaudreau tied for 6th in scoring with 8 points (2 G).
- Edmonton’s has a significant advantage on the PP
- EDM – 36.8% PP (2nd), CGY – 8.3% PP (15th)
- Both teams have very good numbers in terms of shot attempts, shots on goal, 5v5 GF, and scoring chances; but Calgary does have a slight advantage in each.
- Both teams have received excellent goaltending, with Calgary slightly edging out Edmonton
- Mike Smith – 2.29 GAA, .938 SV%
- Jacob Markstrom – 1.53 GAA, .943 SV%
- Devon’s Pick: EDM
- Bruce’s Pick: EDM
TB (+130) Vs. FLA (-150)
Regular Season H2H: Season Series Tied 2-2
- Battle of Florida!
- Florida is 3rd in the playoffs with a 55.95 CF%, 2nd overall with a 64.29 GF%.
- Florida appears to have the advantage in goal?
- Bob: 2.79 GAA, .906 SV% ➡️.778 PKSV%📈
- Vas: 3.04 GAA, .898 SV%. Vasilevskiy was spectacular in game 7 though, posting a 1.00 GAA, .968 SV%, and 2.58 GSAx!
- Florida finished RD.1 0/18 on the PP!
- Tampa Bay’s Brayden Point is “highly doubtful” for game 1.
- Mason Marchment is doubtful for game 1 as well.
- Devon’s Pick: FLA
- Bruce’s Pick: TB
CAR (-190) Vs. NYR (+160)
Regular Season H2H: CAR Won Season Series 3-1
- The New York Rangers are one of two teams (Tampa being the other) that are advancing to the 2nd round of the playoffs with a corsi for and goals for percentage below 50! Both teams are relying on stellar goaltending. Carolina had a CF% below 50, but managed to post a 61 GF%.
- Will Frederick Andersen be back in goal?
- Raanta finished RD.1 with a 2.37 GAA and .927 SV%
- The Rangers are 3rd on the PP these playoffs (31.6%)
- Devon’s Pick: CAR
- Bruce’s Pick: CAR
Shop Now | Amazon.ca
New Amazon Music Unlimited subscribers will receive access to 6 months of Disney+! Users that sign up for an Amazon Music Unlimited subscription, starting at $7.99 per month for Prime members ($9.99 for non-Prime), will have access to Disney+ for 6 months. Renews automatically. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply.
The Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast is a proud partner of Amazon.ca! As an affiliate of Amazon, the Hacks will bring you the latest deals and promotions from the world’s largest online retailer. If you enjoy and appreciate our podcast, blog, or other forms of content, please support us by using our affiliate link (title above, banner below) before making your purchases on Amazon. There are no hidden fees or additional costs to you, just a simple, FREE way to show your support. Thank you!
The Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast – Available On All Podcast Directories
As a member of The Hockey Podcast Network (THPN), the Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast is a proud partner of DraftKings!
Hockey fans, the pursuit for the Stanley Cup is on and DraftKings Sportsbook — an Official Sports Betting Partner of the NHL — has an unbelievable offer for the most exciting playoffs in sports. New customers can bet FIVE DOLLARS on any team to win and get ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS IN FREE BETS no matter what — win or lose!
Looking to turn a small bet into a BIG pay day during playoffs? With DraftKings SAME GAME PARLAYS, you can do just that!Create your own parlay by combining multiple bets like which team will win, how many goals will be scored, and more! It’s your shot at an even BIGGER PAYOUT!
DraftKings is safe, secure, and reliable. Best of all, you can deposit and withdraw your cash whenever you want.
Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app NOW, use promo code THPN, bet FIVE DOLLARS on any NHL team to win, and get ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS IN FREE BETS no matter what! That’s code THPN at DraftKings Sportsbook — An Official Sports Betting Partner of the NHL. Minimum age and eligibility restrictions apply. See show notes for details.
If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL/IN/MI/NJ/PA/WV/WY), 1-800-NEXT STEP (AZ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO/NH), 888-789-7777/visit http://ccpg.org/chat (CT), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-877-770-STOP (7867) (LA), 877-8-HOPENY/text HOPENY (467369) (NY), visit OPGR.org (OR), call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN), or 1-888-532-3500 (VA).
21+ (18+ WY). Physically present in AZ/CO/CT/IL/IN/IA/LA/MI/ /NJ/NY/ PA/TN/VA/WV/WY only. Min. $5 deposit required. Eligibility restrictions apply. See http://draftkings.com/sportsbook for details.