Stanley Cup Playoffs – Round 2 Headlines, Hot Streaks & DFS
In the 63rd episode of the Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast, Bruce, Devon and John discuss the second round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, player hot streaks, DFS and much more – John’s List & Fantasy Lock Of The Week, Headlines & Hot Streaks With The Hacks.
Subscribe to our podcast on all major directories; and stay up to date with the latest in fantasy hockey news and fantasy hockey advice. Be sure to visit LeftWingLock.com, the best source for fantasy hockey intelligence; and The Hockey Podcast Network for more great hockey-related content.
- McDavid continues historic run
- Evander Kane nets a natural hat trick, turns the tide in the BOA
- The Oilers are in Markstrom’s head
- Tampa Bay sweeps Florida!
- Raanta and Shesterkin impress in goal for Carolina and New York
- Binnington done for the Blues, the series turns in Colorado’s favour
- Girard done for the Avs after suffering a sternum injury
- Crosby expects to play at least 3 more seasons
- Award nominees announced
Stay In Touch
Left Wing Lock | #1 Source For Fantasy Hockey Intelligence – starting goalies, line combinations, statistics, and much more!
NHLShop.ca | Up To 50% OFF Select Apparel, FREE Shipping On Orders Over $99
Draft Kings | Use Promo Code THPN for current offers and promotions
Amazon.ca | Sign-up for a FREE 30-Day Trial of Amazon Prime; and get 21% OFF a 4K Fire Stick to stream Prime Video!
If you have been listening to our podcast for a while, you’ve undoubtedly heard about “John’s List”; which is basically John’s $h!t list of players past and present. We’ve decided to make this a regular segment on the podcast and will include it in the blog for fun as well. If you have any suggestions for players we should add to the list, let us know!
Milan Lucic!!! Not because he took out the trash but because he’s just a knob in general.
Fantasy Lock Of The Week (May 16 – 23, 2022) | Presented by Left Wing Lock
🔥Connor McDavid, C | DK Salary: $9200 | FPPG: 21.7 (Last 10 GP)
23 Points, 6 Goals in 10 GP. I would also like to include McDavid’s linemates – Leon Draisaitl and Evander Kane. 23 points (7 goals) collectively in the first 3 games of this series.
HONOURABLE MENTION: Antti Raanta, G | DK Salary: $8500 | FPPG: 13.0
0.59 GAA, .976 SV%, 3.40 GSAx, 1 SO in round 2.
Headlines & Hot Streaks With The Hacks | May 16 – 23, 2022
The 2021-2022 regular season has wrapped, but if you’re planning to defend your fantasy hockey championship next season be sure to get your draft kit from our partner, Left Wing Lock. Stay tuned for details.
In this segment, the Hacks will discuss the latest during the Stanley Cup Playoffs, headlines from each series, which players are performing, and which plays we like in DFS.
News This Week
- Not a great way to start the week for Mitch Marner who was carjacked at gunpoint outside a theater in Toronto Monday evening, Marner was not injured in the incident.
- Sidney Crosby said he would like to play at least 3 more seasons in the NHL. It will be interesting if the Penguins bring back Malkin and Letang to play with him.
- On Tuesday the NHL announced the 3 finalists for the Selke Trophy: Aleksander Barkov (FLA), Elias Lindholm (CGY), Patrice Bergeron (BOS)
- In the aftermath of the Leafs latest first round playoff exit, Brendan Shanahan confirmed that both Kyle Dubas and Sheldon O’Keefe will return for next season
- On Wednesday the NHL announced the 3 finalists for the Lady Byng Trophy: Kyle Connor (WPG), Jaccob Slavin (CAR), Jared Spurgeon (CAR)
- It is interesting to see 2 defensemen being finalists for the Lady Byng trophy. If i was playing defense there would be no chance i would be up for this trophy.
- On Thursday the NHL announced the 3 finalists for the Jack Adams trophy: Andrew Brunette (FLA), Gerard Gallant (NYR), Darryl Sutter (CGY)
- We now know the injury that kept Viktor Arvidsson out of the 1st round of the playoffs. He had surgery to repair a herniated disc. He will miss 3-5 months.
- Mark Stone underwent back surgery Thursday morning and is expected to be ready for training camp.
- John Hynes signed a 2 year contract to remain the coach of the Nashville Predators. Nashville has made the playoffs in each of the 3 years Hynes has been coach.
- Rick Bowness has stepped down as coach of the Dallas Stars.
- Todd Nelson is also not returning as an assistant coach for the Stars.
- The King Clancy nominees were announced by the NHL on Friday: Darnell Nurse (EDM), PK Subban (NJD), Ryan Getzlaf (ANA)
- Joonas Korpisalo gets a 1 year contract extension with the Blue Jackets. The Jackets are giving him another opportunity after having his season derailed by injury.
- Bryan Rust signs a six year 30 million dollar contract extension with the Pittsburgh Penguins
- Mark Giordano signed a 2 year 1.6 million dollar extension with the Toronto Maple Leafs on Sunday.
TB vs. FLA (TB Wins 4-0)
- Brayden Point has not played in the Battle of Florida to date. No meaningful update on his status.
- In game 1 of the Battle of Florida, Tampa Bay used the power play to down the Panthers in game one. After a Florida goal review failed, giving Tampa a power play. Tampa hammered in a Power Play Goal and never looked back. Playoff Vasilevskiy is also back just in case you were wondering.
- Ross Colton stuns the Panthers in game 2 by scoring with less than 4 seconds left in the game.
- Game 3 was a blowout win for the Bolts, 5-1 the final score. Another close affair when you review the 5v5 numbers – 52.53 CF% (FLA), 50.88 SF% (TB), 51.85% SCF (TB), 52.38 HDCF% (FLA). Vasilevskiy (.971 SV%), and Kucherov (1 G, 3 A), were the difference in this one though.
- Game 4 – How Sweep It Is! The Tampa Bay Lightning Blank the Florida Panthers 2-0; despite being outshot 49-26!
- How did Florida’s PP go 1/28 (3.6%) in these playoffs?
- Andrei Vasilevskiy ($7900) is back in top form – 4-0-0, 0.75 GAA, .981 SV%, 10.70 GSAA. Averaged 32.3 FPPG in the Flop of Florida. 49-Save shutout in series clinching game 4.
- Nikita Kucherov ($7000) leading the way for the Bolts – 15 points, 4 goals in 10 playoff games. 9th in shots (35), 9th in shot attempts (63), 11th in iSCF (36) among all skaters in the playoffs.
- Corey Perry ($3000, 6.7 FPPG) – Tied for 2nd on the team with 4 points, and 3 goals in the Battle of Florida. Leads the Bolts in both iSCF (13), and iHDCF (8).
- Ross Colton ($2800) surprisingly good – 8 points, 5 goals.
NYR vs. CAR (CAR Leads 2-1) (34:00)
- Lack of offense from New York’s top 6
- Game 1 in the Rangers/Hurricanes series was a tight checking affair. The game ended up going to overtime with the Canes coming out on top, 2-1.
- Game 2 between the Hurricanes and Rangers was a defensive battle with Carroline shutting out the Rangers 2-0 and taking a 2-0 lead in the series.
- Game 3 – Finally some offence! 3-1 win for the Hurricanes to take a 2-1 series lead.
- Frederik Andersen was back in net during FULL PRACTICE on Monday for the Hurricanes.
- Antti Raanta ($8100, 13.4 FPPG) – 5-3-0, 1.86 GAA, .939 SV%, 6.89 GSAA
- Igor Shesterkin ($7700, FPPG) –
- Mika Zibanejad ($6600, 12.1 FPPG) – 4th in playoff scoring with 13 points and 4 goals. However, just 1 goal and 1 assist through 3 games against New York.
STL vs. COL (COL Leads 2-1) (37:50)
- Game 1 of the Blues/Avs series was the Jordan Binnington Show. The Blues were totally outplayed by the Avs yet Binnington was able to keep his team in it, including forcing overtime. Unfortunately the Blues fell in the extra period.
- St. Louis made the Avs’ life miserable by taking game 2 and sending the series back to St. Louis with the series Tied at 1.
- Samuel Girard suffered a broken sternum in game 3 of the series. Girard is out for the remainder of the playoffs.
- Jordan Binnington left Saturday’s game vs the Avalanche after being hit by Nazem Kadri. He is being evaluated for a lower body injury. Sounds like a sprained knee, if so he would be out for the rest of the playoffs.
- Game 3 – Colorado takes this one 6-3. Nazem Kadri posts
- Cale Makar ($8200, 18.3 FPPG last 10 GP) is a cheat code – tied for 6th overall in playoff scoring with 11 points, 3 goals, 30 SOG, 65 shot attempts (iCF – tied for 4th league-wide).
- Gabriel Landeskog ($5900, 15.7 FPPG last 10 GP) – 2nd on the Avalanche with 10 points, 5 goals in 7 games played. Also, leads his club in hits with 37; and faceoff win percentage (56.1%, 41 FO).
- Ryan O’Reilly ($4900, 18.4 FPPG last 10 GP) has stepped up big for the Blues – Currently 4th in playoff scoring with 12 points, 7 goals, 32 SOG (11th), 45 shot attempts (iCF), 33 iSCF (13th), 16 iHDCF (13th).
- David Perron ($5000, 17.5 FPPG last 10 GP) – Tied for 9th in playoff scoring with 11 points, 7 goals, 35 SOG, 61 shot attempts (iCF – 10th), 35 iSCF (12th).
EDM vs. CGY (EDM Leads 2-1) (43:58)
- Game 1 in the Battle of Alberta did not disappoint. If you are a Flames fan that is. The Flames took advantage of the Oilers slow start and potted 2 goals in the first 51 seconds of the game. The tight checking we expected in the series did not materialize as the teams traded chances back and forth. When the smoke cleared the Flames had a 9-6 victory and a 1-0 series lead.
- On a happier note for Oilers fans. Connor McDavid now has 7 multipoint games in his last 8 playoff games.
- Game 2 of the Battle of Alberta did not disappoint. Calgary jumps out to a quick 2-0 lead but in the end the Oilers take over for a 5-3 victory and tie the series at one game a piece heading back to Edmonton. Duncan Keith became the 3rd-oldest player to record 3+ points in a post-season game.
- Game 3 – Evander Kane scored a natural hat trick, 6 SOG, and a game-high 10 HITS! Connor McDavid is the first player in the history of the Stanley Cup playoffs to open a postseason run with 9 multi-point outings in his first 10 games played. Leon Draisaitl was quietly fantastic once again with a team-high 4 points. Lucic confirms that he is indeed an idiot.
- Special teams battle – Edmonton’s PP is 7th at 23.5%, Calgary 14th with an 11.1% conversion rate. Flames have the best penalty kill of remaining teams at 92.3%; Oilers PK is 5th best for remaining teams at 86.1%.
- Calgary Dominance 5v5 – 58.52 CF%, 56.13% SF (87-68), 45.45 GF% (10-12), 57.89 SCF% (77-56), and 59.62 HDCF% (31-21).
- Connor McDavid ($9500, 21.0 FPPG last 10 GP) – 1st in playoff scoring; 23 points, 6 goals, 40 SOG (4th), 78 shot attempts (iCF – 1st), 60 iSCF (1st), 31 iHDCF (1st)!
- Evander Kane ($6000, 20.57 FPPG last 10 GP) – 4th in playoff scoring with 13 points, 10 goals, 44 SOG (1st in the playoffs), 69 shot attempts (iCF – 4th), 45 iSCF (3rd), 24 iHDCF (3rd).
- Zach Hyman ($4400, 13.9 FPPG last 10 GP) – Tied for 2nd with Nathan MacKinnon with 42 shots on goal so far in the playoffs. 8 points, 6 goals, 67 shot attempts (iCF – 6th), 48 iSCF (2nd behind only McDavid), 29 iHDCF (2nd behind McDavid).
- Matthew Tkachuk ($6400, 14.1 FPPG) – 4 points, 3 goals, 10 SOG, 13 shot attempts, (iCF – 3rd on the Flames), 7 iSCF (7th), 3 iHDCF (4th).
- Andrew Mangiapane ($3300, 9.0 FPPG) – 3 points, 1 goal, 9 SOG, 12 shot attempts (iCF – 4th), 11 iSCF (tied for 1st), 6 iHDCF (1st).
Shop Now | Amazon.ca
New Amazon Music Unlimited subscribers will receive access to 6 months of Disney+! Users that sign up for an Amazon Music Unlimited subscription, starting at $7.99 per month for Prime members ($9.99 for non-Prime), will have access to Disney+ for 6 months. Renews automatically. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply.
The Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast is a proud partner of Amazon.ca! As an affiliate of Amazon, the Hacks will bring you the latest deals and promotions from the world’s largest online retailer. If you enjoy and appreciate our podcast, blog, or other forms of content, please support us by using our affiliate link (title above, banner below) before making your purchases on Amazon. There are no hidden fees or additional costs to you, just a simple, FREE way to show your support. Thank you!
The Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast – Available On All Podcast Directories
As a member of The Hockey Podcast Network (THPN), the Fantasy Hockey Hacks Podcast is a proud partner of DraftKings!
Hockey fans, the pursuit for the Stanley Cup is on and DraftKings Sportsbook — an Official Sports Betting Partner of the NHL — has an unbelievable offer for the most exciting playoffs in sports. New customers can bet FIVE DOLLARS on any team to win and get ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS IN FREE BETS no matter what — win or lose!
Looking to turn a small bet into a BIG pay day during playoffs? With DraftKings SAME GAME PARLAYS, you can do just that!Create your own parlay by combining multiple bets like which team will win, how many goals will be scored, and more! It’s your shot at an even BIGGER PAYOUT!
DraftKings is safe, secure, and reliable. Best of all, you can deposit and withdraw your cash whenever you want.
Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app NOW, use promo code THPN, bet FIVE DOLLARS on any NHL team to win, and get ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS IN FREE BETS no matter what! That’s code THPN at DraftKings Sportsbook — An Official Sports Betting Partner of the NHL. Minimum age and eligibility restrictions apply. See show notes for details.
If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL/IN/MI/NJ/PA/WV/WY), 1-800-NEXT STEP (AZ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO/NH), 888-789-7777/visit http://ccpg.org/chat (CT), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-877-770-STOP (7867) (LA), 877-8-HOPENY/text HOPENY (467369) (NY), visit OPGR.org (OR), call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN), or 1-888-532-3500 (VA).
21+ (18+ WY). Physically present in AZ/CO/CT/IL/IN/IA/LA/MI/ /NJ/NY/ PA/TN/VA/WV/WY only. Min. $5 deposit required. Eligibility restrictions apply. See http://draftkings.com/sportsbook for details.